True Duals On 00 SuperDuty 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-1999, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post True Duals On 00 SuperDuty 5.4

Has anyone done true duals on their 260hp 5.4 Superduty? I'm going to be ordering my new truck soon and I'm still deciding between the PSD and the 5.4. I know, huge difference, but towing isn't why I'd buy the PSD, but instead for the gas mileage and the fun of it all, but it's expensive fun! Anyways, I'm still considering the 5.4 just cause I love the american v8 sound with 2chamber flowmasters. I'd love to do true duals on the 5.4 if I get it and I'm curious as to power and torque loss with the new 260 version. I may even do 3" pipe to get a deeper sound. Is a loss noticable with this truck? My worry is that it will be very noticable since this truck is so massive. I'd definitely chip it and do an intake too so maybe that would offset the hp/torque loss? I've read all of the posts about how you lose back pressure and all of that, but i'm curious if it's still true with the new 260 version and on this truck specifically. Any feedback would be helpful!
Thanks!
Mike

------------------
97 Bright Red, S/C, Off Road XLT, 4.6, 5speed, 3.55 LS.
Lighted Sunvisor, Bug shield, Nerf Bars, Mud Flaps,
Leer Signature Series Cap (for winter), Flowmaster 40 series,
Airbox mods, K&N, Bosch +4's, Complete Eclipse Stereo System.

Old 12-01-1999, 07:04 AM
Exclamation

Not alot of room under there if you wanna keep everything shielded and away from the fuel tank(4x4). I think the 3" system is plenty big enough to move any exhaust the truck can produce. The cat is not that restrictive.

I say FLOWMASTER. Others say different. No noticeable loss or gain. I did so much crap at the same time.

Good luck

------------------
1999 F250 SD CC, LWB, 5.4L, Auto, 3.73, 4x4, Power TT mirrors w/ marker lights, White, Full Tint, PendaPro SR, Flowmaster Delta 40 series, K&N filtercharger, Superchip (Airbox removed for a second try, maybe in the winter it will be advantagous?) Lund Elite soft tonneau

www.angelfire.com/pa3/spaceace/index.html

[This message has been edited by spaceace (edited 12-01-1999).]

Old 12-01-1999, 09:44 AM
Spaceace, do you have true duals on yours? Or just cat back? thanks for the help

Mike

------------------
97 Bright Red, S/C, Off Road XLT, 4.6, 5speed, 3.55 LS.
Lighted Sunvisor, Bug shield, Nerf Bars, Mud Flaps,
Leer Signature Series Cap (for winter), Flowmaster 40 series,
Airbox mods, K&N, Bosch +4's, Complete Eclipse Stereo System.

Old 12-01-1999, 01:34 PM
Just a cat back. If the pipes were smaller duals...maybe. Personally, I think duals are outdated and senseless on a vehicle not running over 4,000 RPMs.

Old 12-01-1999, 05:52 PM
I have true duals on my 97 5.4 and just love them. I did get much better throttle response and about 1-1/2 to 2 mpg more with it, after I learned to keep my foot out of it. I think the 5.4 would do you just fine as long as you don't mind paying at the pump if you are going to haul much with it. If you are going to pull a trailer or pull a 5th wheeler you would want to get the deisel for sure. My dad has a '95 Cummins turned up to 600+ ft/lbs torque and it pulls his 5th wheeler with his 18'fiberglass bass boat behind that all over the country just fine.

I know what you mean about that true V8 sound though. Sound just like the "good old days".

------------------
RED-ONE
Red/Silver '97 F150 4x4 SC Lariat, Longbed, 5.4L, Auto, 3.55 LS, Power Grey Leather Captain Chairs, Tow Package, Sliding Rear Window, 10 disk CD changer, K&N air cleaner with housing modification, True Dual Exhaust out the back with chrome tips, 36" glasspacks, Nerf Bars, Extang soft top Tonneau cover, color matched front Bug Deflecter, window drip guards, cranked torsion bars, custom spring pack for rear, Michelin LTX A/T LT265/75R16.
5700lbs of rolling blue oval fun.

Old 12-01-1999, 06:27 PM
RED-ONE,

How are those dual catalytic converters? How do you get them up to proper operating temp. They won't heat up without proper volume of exhaust gas.

Old 12-01-1999, 08:45 PM
Cool

I've got true duals on my '97 4X4 sc 4.6. When I say true duals I mean from the cats back. I had them cut before it Y'd together and two of everything from there back. I really didn't think about the temp. of the cat. conv.'s, but it doesn't seem to hurt performance or fuel mileage which has slightly increased. Get the V10 dude, the gas mileage isn't much different, I've got a buddy with one and he gets 14 and 10. The psd doesn't get but about 16 to 18 in the 4X4, and then you've got more maintenance cost.

Quick Reply: True Duals On 00 SuperDuty 5.4