Quietest Performance Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-1999, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Quietest Performance Exhaust

It appears that instead of me getting a SuperCrew, my wife is getting and Expedition (which is still OK). We will probably get the 4.6 V8 and I would like to upgrade to an Airaid air intake and some sort of performance exhaust. BUT, since this is a family car the exhaust note must not intrude into the interior (a little bit at full throttle is ok). My current F150 has a Borla, which my wife says is too loud. From reading other posts, it appears the Gibson three inch single is the quietest system. Any other opinions?

Old 10-19-1999, 04:21 PM
I just put the Gibson Swept Side on my truck. With all the windows closed and driving down the road, it is slightly more noticeable than the stock system. I too was seeking a quiet performance system and have been very satisfied with the Gibson. It's so quiet that most people would not even think twice that it's not stock. But, it is loud enough to have a nice throaty sound. Like I said, I love mine. I have the stainless steel version. More expensive than aluminuzed steel, but heaver gauge and very well constructed. Should outlast the truck!

--Steve

------------------
1998 F-150 Super Cab XLT, 4x4, SWB, StyleSide, 5.4L, E40D Automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Med Graphite Cloth Captain's Chairs, P255/70R-16 OWL AT Tires, 3.55 LS Axle, Cab Steps, Tow Pkg, Power Color-Keyed Mirrors, Fog Lights, Cast Aluminum Wheels, 6-Disc CD Changer. Aftermarket: Pendaliner SR, Keyless Entry, Delta Deep Aluminum Toolbox, Gibson Swept Side Stainless Steel Exhaust, Airaid FIPK, Banks E40D TransCommand, Custom CB and Amateur Radio Installation. See me and my truck at http://bluecrab.richmond.edu/crab-1.htm

Old 10-19-1999, 05:51 PM
Flowmaster 70 series, almost as quiet as stock but you can actually feel a difference. I did muffler only and am pleased with results. About $150 to $200 cheaper than Gibson or other cat back systems. See posts on exhaust system thread week or two ago about 70 series flowmasters.

------------------
98 Nascar Edition, Superchip, Airaid, Flowmaster 70 series, bedliner, in bed tool box, Profile bug deflector and window vents, Class III receiver hitch.

Old 10-20-1999, 07:23 AM
Yea if you wanna be cheap and fast and quiet go with the Flowmaster 70 series !

Old 10-21-1999, 02:35 PM
Exclamation

TenderPaw,
Saw your post..I have a 98 Expy w/Gibson..
Borla too loud for wife here too!
Also..my .02...go with the 5.4 lota weight
there to get moving.
reedr

Old 10-23-1999, 07:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Buy time you put on the airaid and catback you could have had the stock 5.4L.
And you wouldn't even need to modify it.
Don't buy a vehicle with an engine you know isn't going to be powerful enough stock, it just doesn't make sense.

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L reg cab 4x2 120" Wheelbase 4 wheel disc brakes/ABS 5 star larait style wheels Toreador Red/Silver 3.55 gears 255/70/16 OWL Delta toolbox
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers w/tweeters mounted flush in the door panels (excellent sound)powered by a Sherwood 35x2 RMS amp
Jensen 50x2 RMS for the 2 Audiobahn AWC10 subs
Looking for reasonably priced used running boards
54regcab@duesouth.net in Columbia SC

Old 10-25-1999, 08:24 PM
i agree with johnny bonds flowmaster# 70 series is real quiet until you jump on it,
i have dual exhaust if you just change the muffler coming out a single exhaust it will be very close to stock.There is also a force three catback system that they said is the quietest of the flowmaster's.
JOE

------------------
1999XLT,Supercab,Gold,5.4Styleside,Flowmaster#70 Series Catback,Rockford Fosgate 400a4 Amp.MTX-5000 Dual Eight's Sub.
Uniden Radar Detector.
Black Tinted Windows "For That Florida Sun"
corpstop@aol.com
[HAVE FUN]

Trending Topics

Old 10-26-1999, 02:01 PM
I ordered my, or should I say, my wife's, Expy this morning. Should be in by Christmas. I was going to get the 4.6 for economy reasons (gas and vehicle cost) but I discovered that on the Expedition, if you get the 5.4, you also get super engine cooling and the heavy duty 4R100 automatic trans. You can't get either with a 4.6. I will probably still install the exhaust and intake mods.

Old 10-26-1999, 06:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In addition to the exhaust, get a superchip, a K&N and hack off the air filter housing. Be sure to take the pieces into the house and show them what you've done to their NEW "X"- they love that!

Come join the reindeer games at www.xpedition.net

Neal

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, Optima "T-Bone" wheels, and Clarion In-dash CD player. Just added Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars!!

1993 4x2 F150 Reg. Cab LWB- 5.0L, cat-back dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, Superchip, fresh paint, and Line-X bedliner.

200"other"
http://members.visualcities.com/NoMo

Quick Reply: Quietest Performance Exhaust