Gibson Catback

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-1999, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Gibson Catback

I'm just about to purchase a swept side for my truck.Wanted to know if anyone has done the muffler swap first and then bought a gibson and if it made a difference.Wanted to know if it is worth the extra money.thanks

------------------
------------------------- 99 SILVER XLT/REG.CAB/4.2/5SPD/3.55/K&N Airbox Mod/Rhino muffler/Westin Black nerfs and now SuperChiped

Old 08-26-1999, 12:11 AM
Smile

I have the Gibson Cat-Back.....if I had it to do over again, I would go with Flowmaster.......

Old 08-26-1999, 12:36 AM
I just ordered the Gibson Single Cat Back today, so I can't answer your question.

But, FYI, I ordered it from Accessories Connection for $279.95 + $3.90 handling fee (no shipping charge). I think that is a pretty good price. www.accessconnect.com

Jason

------------------
1997 F150 XLT SC 4X4 Short Bed, 4.6L Engine, 4-Speed Automatic, Towing Package, Superchip, K&N FIPK, LEER XL100 Cab-High Canopy

Old 08-26-1999, 12:42 AM
I have the Gidson and like it alot. The kit is very high quality, east to install and the performance is noticeably improved.

However, it is quiet. If you want more than a small change in tone (deeper sounding) than get something else. I can easily tell the sound change driving as it has IMO a nice tone, different than stock.

For performance the Gibson is very good but for cool sound the Flowmaster gives more.

My $.02

------------------
1999 F-150 4x4 XLT SuperCab, Black clearcoat (w/dark graphite interior), Sport Package, 5.4, auto, 3.55, skid plates, Air, Electronic shift 4 X 4, 4 wheel disc antilock, captain's chairs, power driver's seat, cd, keyless entry, Autolamp, tow package, rear slider, tinted windows, Cab Steps.

Mods: Gibson 3" catback, K & N filter, JL Stealthbox subwoofer in center console, Phoenix Gold XS4300 amp, Pioneer TS-A6815 speakers, tinted front windows, LINE-X bedliner, Ford bug deflector

Old 08-26-1999, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the replies.The muffler I have now has very good sound for the 4.2.It flows real well so I was wondering if the Gibson would restore some of the low end torque.Can get it from JCWhitney for 272.00 that incl. shipping.

------------------
------------------------- 99 SILVER XLT/REG.CAB/4.2/5SPD/3.55/K&N Airbox Mod/Rhino muffler/Westin Black nerfs and now SuperChiped

Old 08-27-1999, 01:35 AM
You will see an improvement over stock, especially on the low end, with the Gibson.

If you get one, make sure you tighten the clamps a bunch. The pipes are very thick and you really gotta clamp 'em hard to secure the pipes.

------------------
1999 F-150 4x4 XLT SuperCab, Black clearcoat (w/dark graphite interior), Sport Package, 5.4, auto, 3.55, skid plates, Air, Electronic shift 4 X 4, 4 wheel disc antilock, captain's chairs, power driver's seat, cd, keyless entry, Autolamp, tow package, rear slider, tinted windows, Cab Steps.

Mods: Gibson 3" catback, K & N filter, JL Stealthbox subwoofer in center console, Phoenix Gold XS4300 amp, Pioneer TS-A6815 speakers, tinted front windows, LINE-X bedliner, Ford bug deflector

Old 08-30-1999, 02:18 AM
Thumbs up

I just installed the Gibson 3" swept side today. And I'd have to agree with Bart. It's not too loud, but it definitely feels quicker. Even though it's not too loud, it sounds much better than stock. I like it.

------------------
'99 F-250LD 4x4 SC XLT 5.4 3.73LS TTP
Gibson 3" cat-back exhaust, K&N filter, ford bug deflector

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-1999, 09:04 AM
Groggy,
I've got the same truck & wanted to put on that same system. I read somewhere about possible interefernce problems with the spare tire. Have you found this to be the case?

Larry

------------------
'99 Black F250 SC 4x4 4.6L 5Sp 3.73LS
Bug Shield, 'Snapless' Tonneau, Alarm, K&N FIPK.
Plenty of mods in the plans.

Old 09-03-1999, 10:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put on the Gibson single exhaust and instead of coming out by the wheel I turned the tail pipe and it now exits to the rear bumper beside the trailer hitch. I have been thinking of adding a dummy for the other side to make it look like duals.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, 4.6, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs

Old 09-03-1999, 10:16 AM
Hey T',

I plan on doing the same thing (adding dummy) with the Super Truck exhaust.

Balance is good.

mark

Old 09-03-1999, 11:12 AM
I installed the Gibson Swept Side Cat-Back last night. It was a bit more work than I had anticipated. I had heard on this board that people were installing it in less than an hour. Well...let me say, it took me significantly more time than that.

Problem #1: I wanted to take the stock stuff off without cutting because it is still in OK shape. I couldn't do it. Ford really knows how to torque down those clamps. Good news was that I got to use my new reciprocating saw!

Problem #2: Getting the rear muffler hanger off without damaging the part that the Gibson would use. It is pretty difficult to get the rubber bushing to slip over the end of the hanger that is welded onto the muffler. I ended up globbing some dish soap on it; then slipped a small screw driver in from the back side of the bushing to pry it off.

Problem #3: The instructions aren't specific in how the pipes are to be lined up and routed. I eventually figured it out (with the help of my wife). Even though they say it is a one person installation, having a second person to hold things in place and check clearances helped a lot. You have to get the pipe turned just right to clear the shock absorber and still give room for the spare tire to come down.

Problem #4: The tail pipe was slightly out of round making it a real pain to get it to connect with the muffler.

Problem #5: The instructions say to put the T-Hanger on so that the bolts point toward the passenger side. That didn't work for me. I turned it around and all was well.

After getting passed all of these things, I fired up the engine. Sounds nice. VERY quiet with a lower pitch than the stock muffler.

Jason

------------------
1997 F150 XLT SC 4X4 Short Bed, 4.6L Engine, 4-Speed Automatic, Towing Package, Superchip, K&N FIPK, LEER XL100 Cab-High Canopy

Quick Reply: Gibson Catback