Exhaust System for 96 4.9 straight six

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-1999, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Exhaust System for 96 4.9 straight six

I have a 96 F150 Eddie Bauer with a 4.9 straight six under the hood. I bought it as a repo while looking for my wife a car(oops!) and there's been no mods. Couldn't pass it up with only 45k miles, bumper to bumper warranty 'til 75k, and a price tag of $8500. Took it to my michanic and he told me if I didn't buy it that he would. Anyways, I came from a Toyota and haven't got a clue about Fords, except I've been wanting one, and really need some help. I want to put a good sounding exhaust system, but don't want it to sound like someone sitting on the pot. Sound isn't everything to me, but I want something with good sound and performance. Anybody out there have any suggestions?? Also, I'm having a hard time finding some sites that explain exhaust systems and just wondering if anybody knows of some good sites? Thanks for the help and KEEP TRUCKIN!

Shannon from AL

Old 07-09-1999, 04:37 PM
Shannon,
You got a hell of a deal!! My truck is very similar, see below. My truck is an XL and until March had been used as a work truck. I am just now starting to do performance upgrades. These are them in order....Magnecor plug wires and Champion platinum plugs (no noticed gains) K&N FIPK, some performance gain and great throaty intake sound, and Gibson 3" side swept cat back exhaust. The exhaust has a nice mellow deep rumble to it, especially when down shifting or cruising at mid RPM's. I personally wouldn't put Flowmasters on a 4.9, they are known to have a "tin" like sound. I chose Gibson mostly because of the positive feedback from people here on F150online. The "Supertruck" from gibson is supposed to be very good, but louder. I didn't choose it because I don't want to attract too much attention to my truck from the "men in blue"!! Let me know what you do to your truck and if you have any questions! And of course, welcome to the Ford family! You've found a great truck and an awesome web site!!
Neal

------------------
'94 F-150, 4.9 6cyl., Pioneer CD, 400 Watt amp, and a couple speakers to boot! K&N FIPK, Mangecor 8mm wires. Gibson Side Swept.. Soon to come: I NEED that superchip!!! But have to send in my puter for 2 days ;( This truck is a torque monster!!

Old 07-10-1999, 08:46 AM
Smile

Hey Shannon, I have the Flowmaster on my truck and I like it. It is not overly loud and has a nice rumble to it. I can't find an aftermarket header for it though.

------------------

1989 F-150 XLT LARIAT 4x4 4.9L I6 5 speed manual tranny 3.55 gears K&N FIPK 3" Flowmaster.I will soon add a 4" lift and 33"tires and other mods too numerous to put here.

Old 07-10-1999, 04:49 PM
Fordfan,
From what I've read on this board, aftermarket headers for this engine are a waste of money. Do a search on it, you may come up with it. I believe that Hedman makes some and also a place in Costa Mesa, CA.

------------------
'94 F-150, 4.9 6cyl., Pioneer CD, 400 Watt amp, and a couple speakers to boot! K&N FIPK, Mangecor 8mm wires. Gibson 3" Side Swept. On order, Jacobs Pro Street Ignition. Soon to come; Superchip. Est. 200 hp 300ft/lb. Torque! Not bad for a straight 6!!

Old 07-11-1999, 09:34 AM
Lightbulb

Thanks 94. I live close to Costa Mesa, but if they are a waste then I won't bother with it. I heard of a place called Clifford performance here in SoCal that has alot of trick parts for the 4.9.

------------------

1989 F-150 XLT LARIAT 4x4 4.9L I6 5 speed manual tranny 3.55 gears K&N FIPK 3" Flowmaster.I will soon add a 4" lift and 33"tires and other mods too numerous to put here.

Old 07-12-1999, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys for the info!! It's going to be a couple months before I start the mods. The wife's driving me crazy for her a new car since I got such a deal on the truck. I'm getting a lot of good info from this site and people like you though. I'll keep you informed 94 and thanks again for the info. KEEP TRUCKIN!

Shannon from AL

Quick Reply: Exhaust System for 96 4.9 straight six