Aftermarket Exhaust For V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-1999, 11:51 AM
Location: Beautiful Fort Worth in the Great State of Texas which is part of The Best Country on this Planet Earth, The U.S.A.!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Exhaust For V6

Has anyone installed a flowmaster or any other "Turbo" type muffler on their V6?
I heard a 98 with the V6 the other day that had a 2 chamber 40 series flowmaster on it and it sounds awful! It actually sounds nice at idle but when you rev it it sounds like a 4 cylinder Toyota engine through straight pipes. When the guy asked me if I liked the way it sounds I gave the courteous yes answer.(If your on this board you know who you are).
Anyway, I call Flowmaster and they tell me that you are not supposed to put a 2 chamber on a V6 as the exhaust pulses and firing order are no good with a 2 chamber. I told the tech rep never mind all that,It sounds like crap!
He says 3 chamber 50 series with delta flow tech would be the one to go with.
Just curious if any of you have done this.
I have read quite a few post about exhaust on V8's but not on our beloved Sixxers.

P.S.,I know all of you Triton fans will comment with some smartass remark along the lines of installing a V8 to make it sound good so dont bother!! LOL

Roger In Fort Worth.
GO STARS!!
STAY HARD!

------------------
99 F-150 Sport XL Bright Red.
Dallas Stars Flag On Antenna.

[This message has been edited by B777 (edited 05-28-99).]

Old 05-28-1999, 05:05 PM
Ask PonySix8, he has a good exhaust I believe, with a 6 cylinder.

------------------
1999 Ford F150 XLT ,Cloth Seats, CD Player, 4.6 Liter Triton V8, 3:55 LS, Towing Package, 4 Speed Auto, K&N Airfilter, and soon Superchip and Airaid

Fast46Triton The Freaky, fast engine from the factory!
The 4.6 is a strong runnin engine, so dont be dissin it! Oh yeah, Shovies, watch out! This aint no ordinary truck!

Old 05-29-1999, 12:28 AM
thanks for remembering me but the 'he' is a 'she'.
i don't have a flowmaster, just a glasspack and don't have a clue what brand it is. somedays i like it, somedays i don't. sounds cool while cruising. mom just told me it sounds good (she's heard it as a bystander more than i have, and she knows what she's talking about). i have been told that once it wears out that it will really sound cool, and it should be wore out sometime next year.

------------------
'97 f-150 XLT V6 auto 3.55 silver reg cab flareside , 6 cd, Lariat floor mats, tonneau, ground effects, tint, glasspack w/ duals. the heartbeat stops here.

[This message has been edited by ponysix8 (edited 05-29-99).]

Old 05-29-1999, 10:53 AM
Sorry! I apoligize!

------------------
1999 Ford F150 XLT ,Cloth Seats, CD Player, 4.6 Liter Triton V8, 3:55 LS, Towing Package, 4 Speed Auto, K&N Airfilter, and soon Superchip and Airaid

Fast46Triton The Freaky, fast engine from the factory!
The 4.6 is a strong runnin engine, so dont be dissin it! Oh yeah, Shovies, watch out! This aint no ordinary truck!

Old 05-30-1999, 08:49 PM
I have a magnaflow muffler.It is a strait-through design.Very free flowing pretty quiet too lost some low end gained top end also mileage got better 18.5 with 87 octane trying 93 this tank. ------------------------------------------ 99 r/c 5-speed 4.2,shortbed,K&N air box mod. magnaflow muffler,chip hopefully soon.

------------------

Old 05-30-1999, 11:47 PM
Roger, I have a 2 chamber flowmaster on my 99 V6 and it sounds good, I don't think it's a 40 series. Does not sound at all like a 4cyl. The rest of my exhaust is stock and It has a nice rumble sound when I down shift.

Old 06-07-1999, 11:30 AM
mom and i switched trucks yesterday while in Tulsa and i finally got to listen to her drive off. That glasspack sounds sweet. Nice deep rumble at low idle and it stayed deep when accelerated. i can now say that i'm totally pleased w/ it.
But i would still like to know if a glasspack has perfomance benefits like a flowmaster muffler.

------------------
'97 f-150 XLT V6 auto 3.55 silver reg cab flareside , 6 cd, Lariat floor mats, tonneau, ground effects, tint, glasspack w/ duals. the heartbeat stops here.

Old 06-18-1999, 10:16 AM
I just installed a 40 series 2 chamber Flowmaster on my 98 V6 with stock pipes everywhere else (except for a nice stainless steel tip), and I think it sounds pretty nice. It obviously does not have the nice low rumble of a V8, but it doesn't sound like a Toyota either. The performance gains are definitely noticeable. The most noticeable gains in my opinion are at high end 2nd and 3rd gears (I have a 5 spd manual), and once you're up there, I think it really sounds nice. The sound inside the cab is definitely different than outside. Much deeper rumble when you listen to it from outside. Just thought I would give my 2 cents.

Old 06-20-1999, 07:08 AM
Hey Ponysix8,
I quote from Dave Vizard,s" Horsepower Bible" ,"If ever there was a product peddled by suspiciuos advertising, it''s glasspack mufflers.For many the "glasspack" carries the image of high performance, and some manufactures cater to this interest.But pitifully,many glasspacks are less efficient than conventional mufflers.As of 1990 there is one good design for every bad design".I quote Dave Vizard because he is a very well known and respected High Perf. professional.

------------------
Keep on 150Truck'in

Old 06-30-1999, 06:47 PM
Location: Beautiful Fort Worth in the Great State of Texas which is part of The Best Country on this Planet Earth, The U.S.A.!
Well I bit the bullet and decided to go with the 50 Series 3 Chamber W/Delta flow tech.
2 1/2" inlet and two 2 1/4" outlets. He ran two pipes out from there to right behind the right rear wheel(Like the Nastruck has).
Looks great and sounds great,Nice mellow sound at idle,not annoying at all. Not too loud but you know its there. And no buzzing or droning inside at all.
Picked up a little power on bottom end and a little more at the higher revs(Where it starts to really bark!)

Custom150,
I agree with Vizard, The glasspacks have always had that tinny hollow sound that annoys the crap out of everyone except the person driving it.They do sell on sound and not on performance.
Like the old cherry bomb glasspacks when I was a kid. they were great untill you had to sneak home at 3 in the morning and woke everyone in the neighborhood up including the dogs!

------------------
Roger In DFW. Home of the 1999 Stanley Cup Champion ****Dallas Stars****
99 F-150 Sport XL Bright Red,Tint,50 Series Flowmaster,Contour+ Deflector, Lower front valance painted to match truck!

Old 07-03-1999, 08:20 PM
Banned
what is a glasspack
and does any one have a pic of your exhaust
on a v6 thanks

Old 07-05-1999, 10:22 PM
i'm not a muffler expert but....sometimes i get tired of hearing the glasspack drone on the highway, but don't find it annoying. everyone seems to enjoy the sound of the glasspacks on my mustang.
i talked to the guy who installed my glasspack recently and was asking if i would have an advantage w/ a muffler like Flowmaster and he said no. he said that the glasspack has less air flow restriction and is going to last longer, HP and mpg advantages were not that much different (and i don't see any reason for this guy to lie b/c he would lose a potential sale).
and i have the V6, so if i was looking for HP than i would have gotten a V8 or a superchip. the reason i did get a glasspack was for noise.
and not every by-stander finds glasspacks to be annoying. there are other v6 owners on this site that have been pleased with the results of the glasspacks they have installed on their trucks.
its all in what floats your boat. some people hear a 'tinny hollow' sound and some hear an awesome sound.
Custom150-
i may have been informed wrong, but since you had to quote someone else doesn't necessarily make your statement correct, and i don't have a clue on who that guy is.
Dan-
it was explained to me that a glasspack is a muffler that has fiberglass in it and it is shaped a little differently than the regular muffler.

Old 07-06-1999, 12:00 AM
Had a Rhino muffler installed last week.It's a fairly new brand.It sounds very good on the V6 low rumble on idle and low throaty sound on acceleration.As speed picks up actually gets quieter no drone on the highway gets a little louder at 75 mph.

------------------
------------------------- 99 SILVER REG.CAB/4.2/5SPD/3.55/K&N AIRBOX MOD/Rhino muffler

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Exhaust For V6