Best Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-1999, 07:34 PM
f150luva
Best Exhaust?

What is the best exhaust system to get for my truck? It is a 99' Ford F-150 Extended Cab, Short Bed, and a 4.6 liter v8. I have heard Gibson is pretty good. What are the prices on the systems? Any advice would help.
I have tried
www.jardineproducts.com and
www.borla.com but none have the prices online.

[b]f150luva[b]

------------------
99' F-150 XLT Extended Cab, 4.6 Liter V8 and soon mods

Old 04-26-1999, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too would like some input on the subject. I just got my dream truck....99 F-150 x-cab..4X4 orp...sport...5.4L.silver...and she needs the exhaust opened up a bit...Would like to hear some opinions on the gibson cat back...both single side and dual out the back....also like to hear some about the flowmaster..Would like some beef and rumble just not anythink to rattle my teeth.

Old 04-27-1999, 12:06 AM
I just installed a borla cat-back system over the weekend and i was very impressed with the quality and fit and finish. the hardest part of the installation was taking the original exhaust off. the borla costs a bit more than the gibson, but the borla is stainless steel. the system was a dual out the back (just for your info) and cost approx. $560.

Old 04-27-1999, 12:31 AM
Check out the Flowmaster website. They have a new system for the 98-99 F150s that allow you to run dual outlets either behind both rear wheels or out the rear or the truck. And coming from Flowmaster, this should definitely add some HP (And that great Flowmaster Sound!) to your vehicle. The system is for the 4.6s and 5.4s. I am highly considering this system for my F-150 S/C Shortbed and I think the price should be around 250-300 dollars. I also have heard the Gibsons are pretty nice as well as the Borlas, but I have a personal preference to Flowmasters as they definitely seem to have the technologies to make your vehicle SOUND just about any way you want it to... Hope this helps, their website is: www.flowmastermufflers.com

------------------
FastEddie
The "OVERACHIEVER" '99 F150 S/C SB Lariat 4.6, Auto, 3.55LS, Signal Mirrors, 6-disk CD Changer-Premium Sound, All-Da-Toys!
Wedgewood Blue Metallic/Gold
K&N, SuperChip, Deflect-a-Shield, Reese Reciever, Rubber Bed Mat

Old 04-27-1999, 07:05 AM
Installed the Gibson 3" cat back on my 99 4x4. very simple. I like the sound but it may be to quite for some. Flowmaster,Dynomax or the Gibson super truck exhaust may be the way to go for more sound.

Henry

------------------
99 F-150 XL 4x4. RC Flareside 4.6 5spd, 3.55LS. gibson 3" cat-back, K&N Gen ll.Westin step bars. The SILVER BULLET. Rock and Roll...Baby!!!

Old 04-27-1999, 09:23 AM
I honestly don't know if anyone can tell you which exhaust is best. Much of what is available is personal preference. When I did my research 2 years ago for my 97 4X4 5.4L, everyone pointed me in the direction of Gibson. They have many different configurations and I chose the Gibson Super Truck. It looks awsome with two large rectangular dual exhaust tips coming from the side and the sound is incredible.

I always have people stop and ask me what kind of exhaust I have since the truck sounds so incredible!

Ensure that you, at a minimum get an aluminized setup. The stainless steel are more expensive and I am not sure if they are really worth the difference. How much money is burning in your pocket?

Good luck on your choice.

------------------
LarryG - 97F150XLT 4X4 Off Road 5.4L 3.55LS BLACK - Gibson Super Truck, K&N FIPK, Hypertech, Manik Brush Guard, Smittybilt Sides, Pace Edwards Roll Top, Hella Driving Lights; e-mail: larrygoldman@mindspring.com

Old 04-27-1999, 01:08 PM
LarryG
I'm planning on getting the Gibson SuperTruck system for my truck. I'm sure I'll get it anyway, but I was wondering about interior resonance- the droning and bass sound coming into the cab. I don't mind the tailpipe sound or rumble coming in though. Gibson says they have little interior noise and I want to know from a user how they are. A friend put a 3-chamber flowmaster with duals out the back on a 98 V-6 Dakota and that interior resonance was AWFUL!!!!nothing but bass in the cab. Couldn't speak to one another hardly. How is the tone with that SuperTruck? Thanks

------------------
JMark
1996 GMC Sierra 2WD SC/SB Light Autumnwood Metallic 5.0L 4 Speed Auto 3.08 rear gears: K&N Air Filter, Ventshades, Hood Deflector/Protector. Coming Soon: Gibson Supertruck, Edelbrock Shocks and more. I'm just here to have a good time and learn more about trucks and aftermarket accessories.

Old 04-27-1999, 01:59 PM
GMC305:

I can only speak of my experience with my Ford. Noise levels will probably be similar with your GMC though.

The sound is nothing like what you described with your friends Flowmaster. When you accelerate with the Gibson, you hear the rumble of the engine that sounds and feels pretty awsome. You cant really describe sound levels in words, however, the sound is a pleasant one and not overpowering at all.

I think you will be extremely happy with your selection. I put mine on myself in about an hour and after two years and 35K miles, it has held up great and continues to get the attention of all that I drive by!

In addition, I have a hands-free cellular telephone and can talk on it with no problem hearing and no trouble having whom I am talking to hearing me either. That's got to tell you something in itself about interior noise levels.

Good luck with you truck...maybe we'll see ya in a Ford someday!

------------------
LarryG - 97F150XLT 4X4 Off Road 5.4L 3.55LS BLACK - Gibson Super Truck, K&N FIPK, Hypertech, Manik Brush Guard, Smittybilt Sides, Pace Edwards Roll Top, Hella Driving Lights; e-mail: larrygoldman@mindspring.com

[This message has been edited by LarryG (edited 04-27-99).]

Old 04-27-1999, 04:38 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LarryG made a very appropriate comment, and that is, maybe *nobody* can really say which exhaust system is going to be "The Best" for a given situation. For example, I've never liked the way any kind of Flowmaster sounds on anything I've ever heard them on, I think their tone is shallow and tinny, to say nothing of the drone. Yet, you can come to this section right here and see people rave about their Flowmasters, people who are very satisfied.

It's just too much suited for individual tastes to be able to describe "tone", that ever-elusive "tone" that we all seek. I like an exhaust system that I can hear a litle bit at idle, quiet in the cabin, and "barks" when you lay on the throttle. Some people feel their Flowmaster does this, whicle I can't stand Flowmaster. Some people rave about Gibson, and others (admittedly very few) don't care for Gibson.

I'd have to say that overall, Gibson seems to be doing the better job of fit, finish, & bang-for-the-buck. And probably 20 people will immediately see my comment and post a completely different opinion. It's a very subjective area we're in here, it's the nature of the beast.

Just my .02 cents, and probably overpriced at that!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 04-27-1999, 06:06 PM
I have to agree with Mike about Flowmaster sound. To me , they sound a little tinney. Don't get me wrong, Flowmaster is better than any stock system and I've had them on three other vehicles but I wanted something with a deeper sound.

A couple of months ago I installed a Vortex catback system with 3-inch pipe. Pre-bent to fit 98' F150, so no kinks to restrict flow. I really like it. It gives me that low end rumble or "bark" taht Mike was talking about, and a nice mellow sound at the top end. Makes me feel 20 years younger stompin' on the gas.

As a side note I also noticed an increase in bottom end punch, but the bonus was 3 more miles per gallon on the freeway. Besides the Vortex catback system the only other mod I've done is a K&N filter (Superchips in the mail).

Good luck in whatever your choice.

------------------
Fordman2
1998 F-150S/C w/5.4

Old 04-27-1999, 07:00 PM
Fordman, where can I get more info on the Vortex exhaust? I have the 97 F-150 S/C with 5.4 and your comments interested me a lot. Is the Vortex an "out the side" or "out the back" setup?

------------------
97 F-150 Lariat 4X4, 5.4L, Supercab, Black & Grey two tone

[This message has been edited by JimMcK (edited 04-27-99).]

Old 04-27-1999, 10:51 PM
Still contemplating the different choices....I dont want duals out the back....So will either need to be dual out side or single.....Have thought about leaving stock pipe in place but am weary about diameter and the kinks.....Has anyone just added a flowmaster muffler with stock pipe...My main goal is increase in power and fuel economy....a strong second will be sound.....GOOD NEWS: Added westin steps, K&N filter and tinted the side windows to match the rest today....The Manik grill gaurd come on Saturday! My sweet silver baby is starting to look mean....

Old 04-27-1999, 10:54 PM
WildBillTX:

Your'e going to love that Manik! I've had mine for a year now and it mounted sweet and has held up great.

Good choice..enjoy!

------------------
LarryG - 97F150XLT 4X4 Off Road 5.4L 3.55LS BLACK - Gibson Super Truck, K&N FIPK, Hypertech, Manik Brush Guard, Smittybilt Sides, Pace Edwards Roll Top, Hella Driving Lights; larrygoldman@mindspring.com

Old 04-27-1999, 11:00 PM
WildBillTx: When I had the flowmaster installed they asked me about the tail pipe too. They said on mine if I wanted to leave my original pipe that they would have to weld a connecting pipe between it and muffler. There was a gap. Didn't want that. So I had a mandrel bent steel pipe added instead.

------------------
97F150 SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red,skid plates
leaky sliding rear window, Hard tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires
(it came with sm. tires) 40s Flowmaster, 3.55 LS,
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch K&N air filter

Old 04-28-1999, 12:31 AM
WildBill,
I have essentially the same truck as you. I have the dual flowmasters on my truck. I think it has been a great addition they are called “three chamber” and I used 2.5" pipes straight out the back. Some people have said that we should be using single exhaust to maintain back pressure. However, I believe that the catalytic converters are restrictive enough. I noticed an improvement in performance "seat of the pants".
This is a very subjective decision, it would be nice to see dyno runs with different manufacturers, but that probably will not happen. Good Luck!

------------------
99 SC 4X4 5.4 ORP 3.73LS Lariat Black over Gold on Tan.
Mods-K&N FIPK,Superchip,Dual Flowmasters,Westin Nerf Bars, 305/70/16 GY M/T's

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust?