hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-1999, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hard shifting

I'm still having trouble shifting in first and second.There is only 400 miles on the truck which is a 4.2 5 speed. The dealer said to wait until 1,000 miles to see if it is just a break-in problem. When shifting into first, it is a little tight. When shifting into 2nd, it feels like it's "jumping". The gears aren't grinding but it just feels like it doesn't want to go into 2nd. The dealer said something about using a friction modifier. I hope this problem won't lead to more serious problems down the road. Thanks for your time. Bob.

Old 07-02-1999, 12:09 AM
I've heard of the friction modifier. And the people that used it said it worked but that it took a bit of time. They all had Ford put it in.

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing

Old 07-02-1999, 01:37 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Bob1,

Change your transmission fluid over to Mobil 1 synthetic, and give it some more time. I alwasy change to synthetic in my Ford's w/manual trannys, and it's always helped. Ford uses a lot of Mazda truck transmissions in their products, including the Ford Thunderbird Super Coupes, and they all feel like junk, due to the sloppy factory shifter, and the fact that it's a Mazda truck tranny.

Let us know if you try it,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 07-03-1999, 12:56 AM
Thanks Mike for your reply. Is it o.k. to change the tranny fluid now [only 700 miles] or should i wait until the recommended time to do it? Is this something i can do myself or should i take it to a garage. I am NOT a mechanic but am willing to fix my truck if it is within my capability. Have a great holiday week-end! Bob

Quick Reply: hard shifting