4.9L Straight 6 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-1999, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.9L Straight 6 exhaust

I am interested in doing a cat back on my 4.9L 6 cyl......... I want to get some better sound but am mainly concerned with improving performance on the lower and upper end. Any suggestions? Am I correct in believing that larger pipe equals loss of lower end? And single in, dual out equals loss of lower end? Any help would be greatly appreciated! And also if anyone out there has experience with this good 'ol engine please let me know! Thanks.
Neal

------------------
'94 F-150, 4.9 6cyl., Pioneer CD, 400 Watt amp, and a couple speakers to boot! Soon to come: Flowmaster headers, performance cats, Flowmaster mufflers, Superchip, K&N air induction, and any other thing I can spend my money on!!!

Old 06-12-1999, 06:08 PM
94 F-150,
I had a 90 F-150 XLT LARIAT with the 300 six. I had a 3" body lift 33x12.50 Uniroyal Larado MT's on it and let me tell you I loved the truck. I took the truck to my local exaust shop and had them remove the stock muffler and just run a "Y-pipe" and dual tail pipes out the back. It had a pretty good sound and wasn't that loud. As for performance results I couldn't notice any major gain or loss, but I liked the sound and it was more fun to drive. But I rolled the truck over on its top one night out running around. I was heart sick I still have the truck my little brother is fixing it. I have a 99 F-150 XLT sport 4.6 ,3.55 LS now and like the way it runs over the old truck but I still like my old one better. I guess since it was my first vehicle. I miss the old truck that's for sure. But I would recommend the same exaust system on yours if your local laws allow that is.

[This message has been edited by sugarman (edited 06-12-99).]

Old 07-02-1999, 11:26 AM
I have a '94 F150, 4.9L, 5 speed, with the Gibson 3" single cat-back and K&N Filtercharger.

Low end power/torque is outstanding!

The exhaust isn't very loud when compared to the straight pipe/glasspacks on my 5.7 L, '78 Olds, but it does have a nice rumble when down-shifting.

Quick Reply: 4.9L Straight 6 exhaust