can't figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question can't figure it out

ok, i know this has probably been answered before but i can't figure out how to take off my catalytic converter on my 93' f-150. I actually think it has 2 of them but i want the 2nd one off because i want the exhaust louder. I have already had a new cat-back exhaust put on, it is a single inlet/dual outlet 40 series flowmaster and the pipe is 2 1/4". I have looked underthere at the 2nd cat and the pipe going into it looks bigger than the pipe comming out and that is where i get confused on what to do. I realize that all i would need to do is cut it out and put in a pipe but i am worried that the replacement pipe won't fit. Any help with this problem would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks, Brent

( 1993 F-150, 4.9 Inline-6, auto trans)

Old 06-09-2004, 10:56 PM
CATS SUCK

JUST HOLLOW OUT THE CATS AND LEAVE THEM ON. THAT IS WHAT I DID WHEN I HAD A 96 W/302 IT MIGHT SOUND BETTER WITH A PIECE OF PIPE INSTEAD BUT HOLLOWING IT OUT IS QUICK AND CHEAP GOOD LUCK I THINK THE BACK CAT IS ACTUALLY A RESONATOR

Old 06-09-2004, 11:31 PM
thanx

thanx for the info, well i'd hollow them out but i don't know how i'd reconnect them so i'm gonna chopt the back one off and hollow out the other while its off.

Brent

Old 06-10-2004, 02:19 AM
chop em off,gut it,weld it back on,or put a piece of straight pipe in side the cat,if you put pipe inside the cat i'd recomend keepin the original size pipe that's on the rest of the y pipe and just cut the cat short enough so that size pipe will fit through.but if you don't have to go through emissions it doesn't really matter if you make it look like it still has cats.but if you do have to go through emissions you're gonna have to make it look like you still have cats and figure out how to pass.you have obdI and its actually harder to pass with that than 96 and up models cause they test them from the computer now and it's easy to trick a computer,a little harder to beat the test machine though

Old 06-10-2004, 10:58 PM
ya see the probelm is i don't have a y pipe. pipes go straight out of the exhaust manifold to the first cat, then the pipe is really weirdly shaped to the second cat and that is where the new 2 1/4 exhaust system starts.

Quick Reply: can't figure it out