Removing Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Removing Catalytic Converter

Hi.

I live in a non-emissions controlled part of the world (canada) and was wondering what mechanical problems i might experience if i were to gut the converters on my 03 f150 SC. I was planning on opening them up on the bottom probably, pulling out the catalyst, then welding them back up leaving the sensors and stuff intact. I have a catback exhaust already on the truck, and i was wondering if this mod is going to improve sound/flow/performance in a meaningful way. Do you think that the heavy drop in backpressure to the engine will cause any tuning issues?

Also... the other thing i've been considering would be to just cut the converters right out of the exhaust system, and weld straight pipe in their place. I'm not sure what i would do about the O2 sensors in this situation however. Suggestions or should i just leave the whole thing alone?

JP

Old 02-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll need to pick up a couple of the resistors that plug into the O2 sensor wires. These resistors will fool the computer into thinking that the cats are still in place. Should you choose not to do this the exhaust stream will not heat the O2 sensors sufficiantly to put the system into closed loop and SES light and drivability problems will likely occur. Other than that it will just be a little louder.

Old 03-12-2004, 08:42 PM
I have a 1997 5.4 litre sc and am thinking of removing the cats, also live in Canada.

Justin, how did things workout?

Anyone, where can I get the resistors that plug into the O2 sockets?

Thanks you,

Aaron.

Old 03-15-2004, 01:57 PM
SSR
Assuming this would be similar to any OBDII vehicle, I have had to deal with this same situation on a mustang before. That part you need to find is called a MIL eliminator. It plugs inbetween the wiring harness and the o2 sensor after the cat. I don't know that you would have any driveability problems, but the check engine light will come on and stay on after a short period of time because it realizes the cat isn't doing its job.

Old 03-17-2004, 10:36 AM
Hi Guys!
I have an 2003 F150 with 5.4 engine. I have no Cats. I used the Steeda Plug & Play Mil eliminators to keep the check Engine light from coming on.

It sounds great I noticed for about 3 or 4 Days it seemed it had lost little low end. After this say 400 miles, it runs stronger and has plenty of pep to it. More than before.

Most people on this board will get mad at you if you mention removing converters though so don' t expect any comments.

I would do it again in a heart beat.

Have a good one Lee!

Quick Reply: Removing Catalytic Converter