Can I make true duals on my 2000 xcab Lariat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Can I make true duals on my 2000 xcab Lariat?

I just bought a used (13K miles)2000 4X4 Ext Cab Lariat. I'm looking for a little extra power and gas mileage, though, as well as a throatier sound. It doesn't seem to me from looking under the truck that it would be impossible to run tw pipes all the way down the driver side of the tuck into two mufflers and have true dual exhaust. Has anyone done this? Also, is there a way to get rid of the cat converters and replace with only 2 hi flow converters? The stock 4 cat system seems awfully restrictive. Please help!!!

Old 05-31-2001, 07:23 PM
Cool

The multi-cat setup isn't the restriction problem, it's the entire system using one 200cfm. garbage can muffler. The cat setup does cut down the sound (so go loud on the muffler). Duals can easily be adapted but they are done most times on the passenger's side to avoid the gas tank. You don't find kits for these like a Mustang because it's illegal to manufacture or install these. There are many throaty mufflers on the market: Flowmaster reg 40s, Dynomax Ultra-flows, etc. Others like straights, Ravins, or glasspacks. You will get plenty of exhaust tips here; it's a very popular topic. Welcome to the site. Happy Truckin'

------------------
2000 F-150 XL, RC, LB, 5.4L, 4R70W, 4.10LS,
Class III tow, Payload #3, & Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS, Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner w/Paintsaver & gas/wheel/spare locks,
K&N F.I.P.K. w/Outwears pre-filter, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back w/ 3" Y-pipe,
Hellwig front & rear anti-sway bars, Rancho RS 9000s,
Pirelli Scorpion Zero 275/60/16s, Mobil 1, K&N oil filter.

Old 06-01-2001, 02:23 PM
Cool

Greetings new F-150 owner! Congrats on your truck. Yes it is possible to run true duals on your truck as I am considering having it done to mine. But if you are looking to get better gas mileage this probably isn't the smartest thing to do. Once you put in the true duals and two mufflers (flowmasters, glass packs,etc) your truck will run more RPMs then it normally would with the heavy (HUGE) stock muffler, so your gas mileage will decrease but it will give you a little more horsepower. How do I know this? I got my muffler taken out about a week ago, however I still have my "Y" pipe coming out of only one converter. It's loud, powerful, and is not terrible with gas but it has decreased just a bit. Hope I helped!

------------------
My F-150
  • 2001 XLT
  • Toreador Red
  • Extended Cab
  • 4.6 Liter
  • v8
  • No Muffler (Illegal) NEW
  • Dual Exhaust (Y-PIPE)
  • 6" Chrome Tips
  • Vent Shades
  • AVS Blackout Headlight Covers
  • Rhino Sprayed-In Bedliner
  • Flareside
  • 20% Window Tint (Front 2 side windows)(Illegal)
  • 11" 7% dark tint band on front (Illegal)
  • Bugflector
    Pending
  • 295/75/16 BFGoodwrench All Terain Tires (June 2001)
  • 3" P.A. Body Lift (June 2001)

THE BEST TRUCKS ARE BUILT FORD TOUGH

Old 06-01-2001, 02:40 PM
How did you manage to only run one cat converter? I would like to consider maybe two hiflow cats to replace the 4 stock cats, but I heard the computer may not like that (certainly not with no cats!). What is the loudest muffler to go with? Thanks F150 online!

Old 06-02-2001, 02:17 PM
Cool

i have true duals installed on my 97 lariat. they cut off my y pipe just as it came around to the passenger side. he then ran pipe straight back and hooked up two 40 series flowmasters with turned down tips right before my rear axle. i love the sound and will love it more next week when i add headers.

Quick Reply: Can I make true duals on my 2000 xcab Lariat?