Is this bad....(AirForce One Question)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Is this bad....(AirForce One Question)

Yesterday my truck was idling funny, so I popped the hood only to find that the air filter from my AirForce One setup had fallen off. The truck would make a pulsing RPM sound like it was gasping for air. I put the filter back on and everything is cool now. The question is, how bad is it to have unfiltered air entering the engine???

Thanks

------------------
2001 Bright Red Supercrew 4X4, 5.4L V8

Mods: (shhhh don't tell anyone)
Superchip
BFGoodrich TA KO 285/75/16
Airforce One intake kit
Exhaust: Hooker AeroChamber Muffler, SI/DO
SurePull Class III Hitch
Rhino Liner (Planned)
Catch-All Floor Mats (Planned)

Go Buckeyes!
&
Go Bluejackets!

Truck Pull Kills: 4

Old 04-22-2001, 10:23 AM
Depending on how long it was off, it can be really bad. It also depends on your driving environment...the more dusty or dirty, the worse it can be. Make sure all the mounts and clamps are on tight so it won't happen again. The unfiltered air is not a good idea, hopefully you found it very shorty after it fell off.

------------------
Steve
Mine:
1999 F-150 Sport Supercab
Bright Red 4.6L Auto
Billet Grill, Billet Ant, Clear Corners, Sony CD Player, Pioneers in all doors, Kicker 100si Amp, MTX preformed underseat box. Fiberglass Bed Cover
Hers:
2000 Expy Sport
Black, Grey Leather 5.4L
Clear Corners, Alpine CD Player, Punch 150 Amp, JL Audio preformed sub box in rear panel.

Old 04-22-2001, 11:44 AM
Sounds like you noticed it fairly soon. You noticed the idle. I would just change the oil and forget about it. Who knows maybe the engine took in a little dust and it made the piston rings seat better.
Forget about it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wingnut33:
Yesterday my truck was idling funny, so I popped the hood only to find that the air filter from my AirForce One setup had fallen off. The truck would make a pulsing RPM sound like it was gasping for air. I put the filter back on and everything is cool now. The question is, how bad is it to have unfiltered air entering the engine???

Thanks

</font>

------------------
2001 Expedition 5.4L XLT
4WD + Towing Package
Edelbrock IAS
Superchip
Gibson SS Side Swept

Old 04-23-2001, 05:59 PM
Exclamation

I'd be willing to bet that you noticed the idle almost immediately after the filter fell off. The pulsing is because the MAF is getting a funky air flow over it and reading inconsistent air mass.

I have a few friends that have been taking new cars (in 98) to the track on a regular basis and replacing the entire intake with a piece of pantyhose (to catch anythign big like june bugs)! The cars are still running strong after that abuse.

Chuck

------------------
2001 Gen I Screw Lariat
Air Raid, Superchip

Quick Reply: Is this bad....(AirForce One Question)