FRIEND OR FOE??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2000, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FRIEND OR FOE??

I AM PLANNING TO REPLACE MY STOCK MUFFLER WITH A FLOWMASTER 2 CHAMBER WITH ONE IN AND TWO OUT, THE EXHAUST TIPS WILL BE REDIRECTED TOWARD THE REAR OF THE TRUCK, JUST UNDERNEATH THE REAR BUMPER. ONE ON EACH SIDE. (SAW A PICTURE OF THIS AND LOVED THE WAY IT LOOKED).

ANYWAYS, A FRIEND OF MINE SAYS IT WILL BE OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD. IS HE JUST TRYING TO SABOTAGE MY PLANS OR IS HE TELLING ME THE TRUTH? HE HAS ONE OF THOSE LITTLE FOUR BANGER RICE ROCKETS WITH A MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST AND HIS SOUNDS REALLY UGLY AND LOUD. I HATE THOSE CARS. SOMEONE MADE A COMPARISON TO A WEED-WACKER. BUT ANYWAYS, WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

ALSO. I KNOW THAT A GIBSON EXHAUST IS BETTER, BUT WILL IT MAKE THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE?

Old 04-15-2000, 06:13 AM
Talking

Hiya HIT,

Putting a 2chamber Flow in will not be obnoxiously loud...but you will definately hear it. You can expect a deep,aggressive note that will get attention, but it wont be loud enough to offend anyone..like some rice-rockets. I personally like flowmasters better than Gibson and would have to say Flows are the better of the two. Flowmaster has ALOT of experience making both mufflers and exhaust systems that make power. Gibson has a great reputation and alot of people love their products,tho. You cant go wrong with either choice. If you are really looking for a gain in power tho, you should get a catback system and not just the muffler. Although you might feel alittle power from swapping the muffler, youll get alot more out of the systems.

DS

Old 04-18-2000, 11:38 AM
Hey Hit,

DirtSlinger is right. I have a 2 chamber one in two out Flowmaster catback. You can hear it, but not too loud. It sounds great! I don't like real loud mufflers either.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x2. Bright red clearcoat w/gold two tone.5.4L, 3.55LS, class III towing, keyless entry, overhead console and captain chairs.
Ford bug shield and vent shades, Ford(duraliner)bedliner, Extang Black Max soft tonneau, Westin platinum SS nerf bars. Helwig rear sway bar, Flowmaster 2 chamber duel out the sides catback, Airaid FIPK, Superchip ( Well done Mike Troyer !! )

Old 04-21-2000, 03:41 PM
I took my truck down to the local Midas muffler shop and had a Midas Performance Series muffler installed on my truck. It is a single in and single out behind the tire. I have been told that it has better flow characteristics then Flowmaster. I can't say for sure if it does or not but I'm very happy with it so far. Oh and did I say that it has a lifetime replacement warranty. I also had a 3.5" chrome extension added to give a perfect mellow tone. It actually sounds much better than some of the Chevys and Dodges in town with dual exuast. Its not extremely loud. At highway speeds you can just barely hear a nice mellow tone but hit the gas and you hear a deep throaty sound.

There were a couple of reasons for adding a new exuast system to my truck. Part of the reason for putting the new system on my truck was because of the tail pipe being located in front of the tire causing my passenger side rear wheel to turn green. The other part was to make my truck really sound like a V8. All of this work only cost $127.00

------------------
1997 F150XL 4x4 SC 4.6L Oxford White, Extang Tonneau cover, Head light, tail light and SC window covers,Ventshade bug shield, Cooper 265/75/16 tires and Pilot driving lights mounted inside the grill.

Quick Reply: FRIEND OR FOE??