Custom Magnaflow Single Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Magnaflow Single Exhaust

Does anyone have a custom Magnaflow si/so exhaust? I have a Flow 40 si/do as of now. But I want to change back to a single exhaust because I don't think duals sound good on a v6. Plus I lost a ton of lowend torque by using duals. Do you think that a custom made 2.5" single exhaust is the way to go? I mean, it costs less than a full catback. What do you think?

Old 01-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Anybody out there?

Old 01-19-2003, 02:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is there not a part number for this kit already ?

I thought the Magnaflow cat back was SI/SO ( 15609 ).

This is a 3" system, not a 2.5.

How much TQ did you loose with the Flows ?
There seems to have been a negative opinion of Flows the past 4 months or so, but a few still say they are good systems.

Don't really know what this system is like, I just ordered the Bassani true Dual kit myself last night from Tim L.

Old 01-19-2003, 03:05 PM
I actually had more torque with my stock exhaust than with the si/do Flow 40. The Magnaflow is supposed to give more torque and not take any away. That's what I hear anyway. Thanks for the part #. I think I'll talk to Mike T. about it since he's a Magnaflow distributor. Oh, and good luck with that Bassani. I hear they are very good exhaust systems.

Old 01-20-2003, 01:06 AM
I did the following with my 97 Expy 5.4. with a Magnaflow muffler.

The muffler is a 3" single I/O. I had the installer fit 2.5" pipes to it.
I stayed away from 3" pipe because of my stopped up head not liking much of a drone (my head is more sensitive then most people's).
They used the center/offset 5x7" oval muffler #12589.
(The center/center version #12579 is the one listed for the Expy full catback but the installer thought he could get a better fit with the center/offset).

There is not a Magnaflow 22" muffler with single 2.5" I/O in the 5x7" oval.

I've had it for several months and still like it. Throttle response is good, seems a little better than with the Gibson set up I had before. Good sound on acceleration, pretty quiet otherwise. A little drone on the highway but not really bothersome.

I recently took a trip to the Texas hill country and for the first time never had to downshift going uphill. In the past I have had to downshift several times including with a Gibson set up the same way as the Magnaflow now is.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Custom Magnaflow Single Exhaust