Excursion

KOEO - SES stays on, cranks over, no start...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KOEO - SES stays on, cranks over, no start...

My 6.8L Excursion is experiencing an issue that I figured would be worthy to pass by you guys/gals...

Truck hasn't been ran in a few months...it ran fine when it was parked and has sat longer than this with no issue before. Battery voltage fine...

I get in, insert the key, turn it over and it cranks but doesn't fire...hmmm, why is that, I wonder? I notice the SES never goes out before I crank the truck over.

I unplug the battery, tried to clear any fault codes with my handheld tuner (which there was nothing showing up) and turned the ignition on. I left the key in the on position but didn't try to start it. The SES lights never turns off.

I am assuming that if the SES light stays on, the ecu will not allow the truck to start...is that true? What components have an effect on the SES light when you first turn on the key? Anyone got a "simple" explanation where they have seen this before?

Thanks.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:53 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
I unplug the battery, tried to clear any fault codes with my handheld tuner (which there was nothing showing up) and turned the ignition on.
If there were any codes, they cleared themselves when you disconnected the battery.

I left the key in the on position but didn't try to start it. The SES lights never turns off.
This is normal. It doesn't go out till it starts.

I am assuming that if the SES light stays on, the ecu will not allow the truck to start...is that true
Nope.

Have you checked for fuel pressure at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail? Have you tried resetting the inertia switch? Can you hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds when you turn the key on?

Old 12-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply... Now that I am thinking of it, I can't remember if I heard the fuel pump or not. I won't get home until late tonight so I will check it out in the morning. I'm praying it's just a fuse or something - I've had so many electrical issues with this truck that I just don't even consider simple things like a fuel pump anymore...

Quick Reply: KOEO - SES stays on, cranks over, no start...