Excursion

Tech Specs for Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2000, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tech Specs for Excursion

Just checking out some of the specs for the Excursion vs. the F250 and F350 SuperDuty Crew Cabs and found some interesting info. The front axle rating for the Excursion, F250, and F350 are all the same at 4700#, the rears are different at 7000#, 6084#, and 6830# respectively. Now when you go to the springs you find the the Excursion has only 3800# fronts while both the F250 and F350 have 4700#. And out back the Excursion has 5240#, F250 has 6084# and the F350 has 6830#. I also noticed that when comparing the arcs of the front springs you see that the Excursion has flat springs while those of the SuperDutys are quite arched. They also have a bumpstop that is about 1.5" vs. 3.5" on my Excursion.
Now you gotta ask why would they lighten the springs up on a vehicle that weighs 7700#???!?! I am going to ask my dealer if I would be able to install the F250 springs onto my Excursion. Sure it might raise it up about 1.5" but at least I wouldn't bottom out the suspension when driving on the Forest Roads in Michigan. Anybody with any insight please let me know.

Old 01-27-2000, 10:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Thet lightened the springs to improve ride quality and therefore pleasing wealty soccer moms.
It's a shame the rest of us have to suffer because of this, but wealthy soccer moms buy most of the Excursions.

Old 05-09-2000, 05:29 PM
Thumbs up

Please give your motor, 4x? this makes a difference. The specs are contradictory, but truth is my front has 4700 lb. springs over 5200lb axle. The rear has 5250 lb. springs (lighter than F-350) over 6830 lb. axle (like F-350 Single Rear Wheel (SRW)
Excursions do NOT have rear stabilizer or sway bar, that is an option on F-250/F-350
Diesel Excursion have 3 spider (Ford specs call them pinions!) 10.5" full floater rear axle, while 5.4/6.8 V8 have 2 spider 10.5" full floater rear axle.
Bear in mind that with 3000 lb. rated tires (F-350 SRW has 3042) 750 lb. higher axle ratings GAWR are all that's possible anyway.
------------------
2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 Toreador Red ext./gray int. 7.3PSD, 3.73LS, Skidplates, TeleMirrors, Ford Aero deflector, PSD badging

[This message has been edited by ExcursionPSD (edited 05-09-2000).]

Old 06-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Excursion towing horses overturned on I95

I located this thread searching for a comparison Excursion vs F250 to answer a question a friend had about the towing capabilities of the Excursion.

There was a bad accident on I95 north of Baltimore a few days ago where an Excursion towing a 4 horse bumper pull trailer over turned and 2 of the horses had to be euthanized.

I tow a two horse B/P & weight distribution hitch with my F350 dually and still feel the blast on the highway when large trucks go by. Not to mention the insane minivans that can't bear to get behind a horse trailer for any length of time and feel inspired to cut me off to exit. Pulling a larger trailer with a lesser vehicle is just asking for an accident.

2 horses destroyed after I-95 accident
SUV pulling trailer overturns in rush hour
By Richard Irwin
Sun Reporter
Originally published June 14, 2006, 8:36 PM EDT

Two horses were humanely destroyed Wednesday after an accident in which a sport utility vehicle pulling a trailer overturned on northbound Interstate 95 -- tying up evening rush-hour traffic northeast of Baltimore, state police said.
Two other horses were injured and taken to a horse farm in nearby Fallston. State police were still investigating the accident Wednesday night.

The driver of the Ford Excursion, accompanied by three passengers, was towing the horse trailer north toward a farm in Darlington when he lost control of the SUV about 3:15 p.m., two miles south of the Mountain Road exit, and it ran onto the right shoulder, said 1st Sgt. Russell Newell of the state police.

Newell said that when the driver tried to regain control, he over-corrected, causing the Excursion to flip onto its roof. The trailer came to rest on its side.

One horse was ejected from the van, and the other three ran out on their own, said state police Lt. David Perry, commander of the JFK Memorial Highway barracks. One horse ran off into woods at the side of the interstate, but was caught about an hour later, he added.

Newell said traffic immediately came to a halt or slowed, resulting in a backup extending several miles south. By 6 p.m., all four traffic lanes were reopened, Newell said.

Perry said the driver of the SUV and his three passengers, whose names were not available, were treated at the scene for minor injuries.

Quick Reply: Tech Specs for Excursion