Excursion

To buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To buy or not to buy?

I am considering purchasing an Excursion. Is there anyone willing to give there 2cents as to why or why not to get one. I currently have a SuperCrew and looking for more room.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:42 AM
Being in Ford Sales, let me offer this. If you need more room. its a great vehicle. Its heavy...but it dirves like it. DO NOT get a gas one, only a powerstroke, preferably the 6.0L instead of the 7.3L. The 7.3L is great, trust me, but when it comes to resale in a couple of years, expect a difference between the 6.0L and the 7.3L. Gas resale is HORRIBLE...plus the mileage is too! Dont let a dealer START talking to you until they have taken $10,000 off the MSRP. There is about 4-5K in markup, and the rebates are in the 4K range right now. Trust me, dealers sell like 1 per month if they are lucky, they WILL wheel and deal on them, even if it has the new 6.0L in it. The only downside (which may effect resale) is that the Excursion WILL be gone after 2003. My suggestion it, get one, love it, but buy one that is LOADED! Either get an Eddie Bauer (new for '03) or get a loaded "Limited Ultimate" There is my .02...hope it helps!

Old 03-04-2003, 08:39 AM
Just my 2 Cents

rickyg- I just sold my 2001 Screw for $24.5K and purchased a beautiful Limited 2000 X, completely loaded, w/low miles, V-10 for $23.5K here in CALI. It is a awesome family truck. Just got back from a trip to the mountains and it was sheer pleasure with my 2 and 3 year year old girls. Only put gas in the truck when I left! I averaged 14.2 mpg to 7000 feet and back. Truck was quiet on the climbs, great traction in the snow and visibility was a plus. Unlike the Screw. Accessing the cooler behind second seats also a plus, those girls sure like their juices as does dad. After market DVD system a big treat, Monster Inc. was pretty funny I turned the volume up. Anyway I am happy with my gas guzzling rig, you should be as well. I would like to add the rear-obstacle detection system- a safety must with kids. Just my 2 cents.

PS- I am not posting this response to initate another great debate, however if your concerned about gas mileage their is a V-8 out their somewhere?

Old 03-05-2003, 01:23 AM
X-Box, I am too considering doing the same thing as you. I currently have a 2001 SuperCrew 4x2, and have found a 2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 V-10 for $20700 with only 39k miles. My only holdbacks are the gas guzzling dilema, and the resale when the Exc is discontinued next year. I hope by getting at such a good price I will be able to not owe more than its worth. I guess my main question to all of the X owners is what should I look for when looking over this vehicle? Is there any problems that are prone to this year/model? Any notes or suggestions would be appreciated, I am flying out Friday morning to see her. Ricky

Old 03-06-2003, 08:41 AM
The Once Over

Since I am not in the automotive service or repair business, it sure pays to have a professional give his or here thumbs up on vehicle in question. I took my father-in-law (CHP vehicle maintenance) on my expedition to the dealer. Good luck to you. Oh yeah, no present recalls that I am aware of, and it's always a good idea to go back and read the posts here!

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy?