Key

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Key

Well im said to say my wife lost a key and key pad for my 2001 4x4 off road on friday. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about getting a key and programming it myself. I was reading the how to articles and heard about this. What do i do go up to the dealer and ask for a key and the go to home depot and have them cut it and then reprogram it at my house? thanks for any help

Old 12-01-2002, 09:37 PM
Key replacement

I have a 2001 Screw, and wanted a spare key. Went to the Ford dealership and they charged me $26.00 for a key and they programmed it. (They put the first original key in the ignition, turn to on position, then off and put the 2nd original key, turned on and then off. They them put the new key they cut, turned on and then off.) They told me if you don't have both original keys it costs about $75.00 for a key (cut and program it). You may want to consider having 3 keys, could save you some money if this happens again.

Old 12-02-2002, 01:01 AM
Ditto what Doug said above. Without both the original keys, it will require a trip to the dealer for a key. Get them to program three keys total and stash one at home. That way if one of you looses a key, you still can program another.

But, keep in mind, that a lost key will still start the truck unless you have it de-programmed at a dealer (which is expensive).

Quick Reply: Key