Buzzing Noise Behind Dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buzzing Noise Behind Dash

since it's been cold outside, my 2002 f150 has had this loud intermittent buzzing noise coming from behind the whole dash especially on the passenger side.

it only happens 1-when it's cold outside 2-when i'm stopped completely 3-i'm rolling slowly (brake nor the gas pressed)

i've taken it to the dealer and those jacka$$es gave me a run around that they couldn't hear it. funny how they heard it when i came up there and drove it for them. they ended up installing some insulation in the dash and not fixing a thing. it's getting worse now that it's getting colder outside. it's doing it a lot more.

i've heard 2 theories, 1-the PCV valve or 2-the cable that's found behind the break pedal that connects to the transmission and ends at the stearing column. it's used for gear selection.

does anyone have a clue? i'm getting desperate!! thanks to anyone that can help.

Old 11-19-2002, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I understand what your asking. You may get alot of opinions on this. This is JMO! for starters

It could be what i call a "built in noise" from factory. I think its rare, but does happen. I assume thats what the dealer thought when they installed insulation? Only does it when cold..not after warmed up?

This is a test...i have done it...takes 2 people and a stethoscope. You know the thing the Dr. puts in his ears to listen to your heart. Some auto. stores carry them.

Anyhow...one drives...the other listens with sscope. Kinda trial/error...but it really works. You'll be amazed. Eventually you'll pin point where the rattle/buzzing/vibration noise is coming from. Alot of plastics being used.

If it is indeed this type of noise...i doubt if your dealer will ever find it unless they do same. It can be annoying...at least your on record with dealer underwarranty.

Good luck....OT

btw...could it be vibration from heater/defroster duct??? Use sscope.

Quick Reply: Buzzing Noise Behind Dash