windshield wiper problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question windshield wiper problems

I have a 97 expedition and the wipers have given up. I used to be able to replace a fuse, because it was blowing fuses all the time, but no they have just stop working. any ideas? Do i need a new wiper motor? if so where is it located? any help will be great thanks
Jeff

Old 11-10-2002, 06:15 PM
If it was blowing a fuse it means there was a short somewhere, could be in the wiring or the motor.

-Jon

Old 11-11-2002, 05:07 PM
If an operating motor keeps blowing fuses, it usually means the motor is under excess loading and it's drawing more amps than the circuit is designed for.

In this case, my guess is the motor finally burned out and needs to be replaced. You will need to find and repair the cause of the excess load on the motor.

Old 11-11-2002, 05:30 PM
As Dennis has stated when a motor keeps blowing fuses it it due to drawing to many amps. Usally the cause of that is a possible internal short in the windings. If you have had it since 97 till just recently then I would rule out an internal short in the windings because the windings in the motor don't last to long with an internal short. Another cause, and more common then an internal short would be some binding somewhere. Either the motor itself was binding up, rotor not aligned properly or in the linkage between the motor and the wiper assembley.

When you go to have the motor replaced I would have it checked to insure the motor itself is actually bad. It could very well be a connection somewhere between the fuse box to the motor somewhere, in the wiring itself causing the problem.

If you find the motor itself is bad then I would have someone insure the new motor is good, no binding, and that the wiper assembley is in good working order with no binding.

Old 11-11-2002, 08:59 PM
thanks fo the help, if i was going to install the motor myself where would i start. location and disconnect the linkage? any and all help is appriciated.

thanks.

Quick Reply: windshield wiper problems