Phantom wipers finally!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phantom wipers finally!

Well, I have a 99 supercab, and I'm JUST NOW getting the phantom wiper problem, I assume due to a failing switch. I am 2 months past warranty, but 1500 miles UNDER the limit. Anybody want to hazard a guess as to whether it will be fixed under warranty before I call the dealer? Of course, this will be just for entertainment, so please--no wagering.

Old 04-25-2002, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a recall for this about two years ago. It may have been worded, 'customer satisifaction program or similiar. They should do it under the recall, not the warrantee. Good luck...

Old 04-26-2002, 11:08 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hot42,
If it is not covered under warrentee, then here is the fix. Did this a couple of years ago and have not had a problem with it since. Having bought my truck on the very first production run, I have faced many of the problems posted here before they became well known.

**Take the stalk apart and clean all the greese out of it. The tip of the stalk pries off with a small screwdriver and you will see the nut that holds it on. You do not need to take the stalk off the steering column. Be careful when you disassemble so you don't loose any of the small parts.
For some reason Ford used conducting greese (or it becomes conducting with dirt).
Be careful where the spring and ball bearing goes. Reassemble with a very light coating of di-electric greese (non-conducting). **

This worked great with mine, prior to the fix, the wipers would come on just about anytime except when I wanted them to.

Quick Reply: Phantom wipers finally!