Trailer lights problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 10:39 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Trailer lights problem

I have the 1997 F-150 with the trailer tow package.
Recently I have a problem with the lights. The right stop light on the trailer stays on all the time (even with the truck ignition off) except when I hit the breaks. Then the right tail light goes off and the left tail light works. Also the blinker on the right side works but slower then the left. This weekend I bought a new trailer and found it was doing the very same thing so the problem is in my truck. Does anyone know where the fuses and relays are for the tow package and perhaps which one is bad?
Thanks...

Old 04-22-2002, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fuses and relays are under the hood, on the drivers side, between the airbox and the brake fluid reservoir. It's a black plastic box, w/ little tabs you must depress on the outer side of it, and then it hinges towards the engine. Look in your owner's manual for a more detailed explanation of this. From your problems sounds like a good place to start would be by making sure all your wires are in the position that they need to be in your outlet. If you have a ford 7-pin connector, as I do, you will have the descriptions of what each pin is supposed to do. Go get yourself a test light, and make sure all of them are correct, and then go from there.

Old 04-22-2002, 12:18 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blue_farmer,
Already check the pins and have power to the left blinker/breaklight all the time. The wireing harness was working fine when I first got the truck (bought the truck to pull the first trailer).
Thanks, I will check the fuses first, then see what I can do about the relays. I think it is the relay that joins the break lights and the blinkers. They are separate on the truck but must be combined for the trailer. Sounds like a good place to start.

Quick Reply: Trailer lights problem