Electrical Trouble with my truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Trouble with my truck

Hey guys. I'm new to all this but I've read alot of the forums since I got my first F-150 4 yrs ago. Always had a Chevy but I liked my first F-150 so I picked up a nice body 99 XLT and am at my wit's end. The last two months I've had to replace the 4.2 in it but now I've had it on the road going on 3 wks now and it's been anything. My turn signals flash fast sometimes, brake lights out, no dome light and now my windows keep blowing the 30 amp fuse under the hood. I noticed that if you moved the tilt colum it made all the issues stated. Found the plug on top of colum was broke. So that's Workin. The windows are driving me nuts. I've changed the switches and pulled the rubber boots back between the doors and body for broken wires and nothing. I just don't get it. Things work one day or more then I get up this morning and they worked when I left and didn't when I was in line at McDonald's I'm going to start pulling door panels once it clears up but I'd appreciate any advice or comments. Anything right now. Thanks

Old 03-27-2020, 10:33 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Hello, Kramer, welcome to the forum! I've moved your thread to the electrical section because you should get more useful help here than in the introduction forum.

Does activation of ANY window blow the fuse, or is it just one window that causes this problem? Turn signals flashing fast is a symptom of a defective bulb, but since it's intermittent, I'd suspect a fault in the turn signal circuit, possibly a defective ground. Again, is this a problem with a particular direction, (left or right), or does it happen with any turn? Are your brake lights totally defective, or is this an intermittent problem too? Again, faulty grounds will cause the brake lights to fail. Same for the dome light.

The more detail you can provide, the better we can help you.

- Jack

Old 03-27-2020, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Jack. Sorry it's but it got nice for a few hrs So the list. After searching and reading other posts on issues i found the plug ( harnesses) on the steering column is cracked. Got it tied up and brake lights and turn signals work. I do think my turn signal assembly is worn out tho. Every so often the left blink's fast and I have to just hold it down and it's slow blinking fine. With my windows I rigged a couple wires crimped onto a see thru 30 amp and just started plugging/unplugging and searching each door and believe it just ended up being a bad passenger door switch. I could actually watch the fuse bubble each way slowly to the center and quit after removing switch. I rigged up a 30 amp circuit breaker and put in place of the fuse so I can kinda watch things and make sure. This just gives me time cause I already went thru 3 fuses.

Quick Reply: Electrical Trouble with my truck