F-150 Multiple Failures

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-150 Multiple Failures

I have a 2015 F-150 XLT. Yesterday everything was working fine. Today when I went out to run a chore, I started the truck and was greeted by ~5 different warnings. The truck runs just fine (took it to the grocery store and back), but:
  • Backup camera is inoperative
  • Parking aid (sonar) is inoperative
  • The (ABS) warning light on the dash is on (I did not try braking hard to enough to trigger ABS, however)
  • The traction control system shows a fault on the dash
  • The A/C system is not cooling.
I have to believe that all of these are somehow caused by a single component failure. Anyone have a guess as to what's going on?

It's under warranty so I can just take it in for service...but if it's something simple like a fuse, I'd rather fix it myself.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2019, 06:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Read
I have a 2015 F-150 XLT. Yesterday everything was working fine. Today when I went out to run a chore, I started the truck and was greeted by ~5 different warnings. The truck runs just fine (took it to the grocery store and back), but:
  • Backup camera is inoperative
  • Parking aid (sonar) is inoperative
  • The (ABS) warning light on the dash is on (I did not try braking hard to enough to trigger ABS, however)
  • The traction control system shows a fault on the dash
  • The A/C system is not cooling.
I have to believe that all of these are somehow caused by a single component failure. Anyone have a guess as to what's going on?

It's under warranty so I can just take it in for service...but if it's something simple like a fuse, I'd rather fix it myself.

Thanks!
I wouldn't really advise you to attempt to fix it yourself or the dealership could say that YOU caused all of that damage.

OTOH this sounds a typical battery failure since Johnson Controls bought out most of the other battery manufacturers. JC batteries don't just slowly die like batteries used to do, they often develop intermittent shorts and opens and on highly computerized vehicles the computers just go haywire.

Since the battery probably isn't covered under warranty, and the stealership will rape you on the cost of a new one, you could try another battery and/or check the fuses but I wouldn't go any further than that.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. I had not considered the battery as a possibility. That's an easy one to check though.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2019, 09:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I would have BOTH the alternator and battery checked. But the battery being first on my list.

Quick Reply: F-150 Multiple Failures