Cigarette lighter

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cigarette lighter

2011 F150 xlt 5l gas 2WD
Is it possible to wire the lighter to be live only when ignition is on? Would like to leave dash cam/gps combo plugged in all the time.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:06 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Sure, it's possible. You'd have to do some wiring surgery to install a relay that's controlled by the position of the ignition switch.

Which cab style do you have?

Old 12-07-2018, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Sure, it's possible. You'd have to do some wiring surgery to install a relay that's controlled by the position of the ignition switch.

Which cab style do you have?
Extended Cab

Old 12-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What I did was wire in my own 12v connections under the dash.. I got an "under dash" mounted thing that has a traditional "cigarette lighter" outlet and it also has 2 USB outlets. Then I got a plug in fuse adapter thing that replaces the fuse in the box, but it has a + wire coming off it and a place to put the fuse back in on top for the original fuse and a second slot for the new fused connection (in other words, both lines are fused with separate fuses)

On the pass side of the foot well, there is a fuse box when you pull the cover off. I don't recall which one I want to say it was #8 or something like that? It was a 10a fuse and switched with the ignition is all I recall..

Anyway, wired it all up and mounted it up and under the dash so you don't see it.

I plug my old Garmin GPS into the Cigar lighter plug and one USB for the dash cam and the other for a phone charge wire so I can use it for the Torque Pro sensor monitor setup I have with my phone..

All works great, no wires hanging all over the place anymore and I still have the factory cigar lighter untouched and can use if needed when the ignition is OFF..

Sorry, no pics of it, but it's not really rocket science and it's all fused and tucked up out of the way.

Good luck!

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 12-07-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:40 PM
Thanks.

Gerry

Quick Reply: Cigarette lighter