wipers out/ bad GEM module

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wipers out/ bad GEM module

hi. I have an 03 F150 Supercab FX4 with a 5.4. Its great & I love it. 250,000 miles. almost 110,000 of them with me and its been basically faultless. Until now The wipers stopped working recently and the diagnosis was bad GEM / BCU module. This thing is obsolete / unavailable new. I went through a couple of used ones and none really fixed the problem - one did, but the headlights stopped. The others didn't fix the wipers . Right now, I have the wipers working off a standalone switch. Whilst it keeps the water off the screen, its a little inconvenient / clunky and intermittent/ 2 speed/ self park etc aren't working. I was wondering about getting a wiper control module from something else - either a different Ford model, or something entirely different and hooking that up to the multifunction switch - I'm thinking that of the 2 connectors that plug into the multifunction switch, one of them is lights/ blinkers etc, and the other is going to be the wipers/ 2 speeds and multiple intermittent speeds (and washers - which still work) - from what I see online, the funny shape one is the lights - and the square one is the wipers (and washers?). so I'm thinking totally bypass the existing GEM for the wipers and reroute the wiper wires headed into and our of the GEM module into the new wiper control module, and route that thing directly to the existing, or perhaps some custom relays
So anyway - my question. Has anyone else done this? if so - what module did you use ? Any trouble/ anything specific to watch for? I assume this ought to work reasonably well - only immediately problematic thing I see is previously turning the washers on activates the wipers, and now 2 different modules need to communicate to do that. I could feasibly take a 12V feed directly from the washer motor though and run that as an input into the new wiper control module.

Thanks in advance for any help/ advice.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:06 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Old 09-29-2018, 02:32 PM
Thank you!! I would have said I looked everywhere for one of those unsuccessfully. That’s a much better solution and is exactly what I’ll do!

Old 09-29-2018, 05:15 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Hopefully you have an electronic shift transfer case, the one for the manual shift costs a LOT more.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Hopefully you have an electronic shift transfer case, the one for the manual shift costs a LOT more.
yeah. Esof. Thanks again. It’s on order. Excited to have wipers that work properly again 😊

Old 10-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Good deal! Let us know how you fare when you install it. We always like to hear good stuff.

Quick Reply: wipers out/ bad GEM module