Do I need a new fuse box.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glc, the right rear stoplight works fine.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The right rear "blinker" and the right rear stop lamp are the same thing. It just gets activated in two different manners. That would cast suspicion on the multi-function switch, not the tail lamp.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:17 PM
projectSHO89,
Fresh update. My stepson informed me that my right rear signal AND rear right brake light are both out.(same bulb) Also, when I engage the flashers, I get no flash on the rear right side. Does this makes you think it could be a multi-function switch? Or is it a wrinig harness issue? Where is that multi-function switch located?
And with regards to mt relay issues, today the car would not start but the radio did start.Temp was 26degrees. But instead of tapping or pulling the R101 relay out, I used my hand to touch the fuse box and press it firmly to seat it better. The car started after that. Later when my car would not start, that trick didn't work. I had to tap the relay a few times. I haven't checked the ground wire yet. I plan to tomorrow.

Last edited by yzdeaner; 04-08-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:04 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The multi-function switch is what the turn signal lever operates.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:28 PM
ProjectSHO89 and glc, Latest update: It's warmer today.....37 degrees and sunny. The car started up just fine, Radio started up fine. Right rear brake, signal and hazard light was a no go. After some reading I have come to understand that the brake lights and hazard lights both run through the turn signal multi switch. So if the switch was defective for sending power to the rear brake light, all 3 functions (braking,stopping and hazard warning) to that rear right socket would not work. Is everyone in agreement with that? I went for a drive, but before doing so I manipulated the turn signal lever several ways but that did not do anything. I also manipulated the adjustable steering column. I drove about 10 miles and just before getting back to my house, my rear turn signal, brake light and hazard light was WORKING!! The problem is not solved, but I think my problem is the multi-switch and I plan to order one today. It's quite possible that some other connection in the harness or a wire is damaged but today the only thing I manipulated was the turn signal and steering column. Is this the logical approach for me to take?

BTW, My radio did go out while driving and my car did not start after I made a stop at the store. Just tapping the relays R101 and R102 got me back up and running.
Hopefully the multi-switch will solve my brake light problem, then I will only have to deal with the short or fuse box issue. I still haven't checked the ground. I work nights and won't have a few days off until Tuesday to take on that task.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:51 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The switch may be fine, it may be a wiring issue in the column, connectors not fully seated. Working the wheel tilt moves that stuff around.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:54 AM
I discovered today that my problems with the right rear brake light and directional signals are NOT RELATED to the multi-switch in the steering column. When I went to inspect the grounds coming off the fuse panel, the top right plug has a dozen or so wires connected to it. After minimally manipulating the wires, my direction/brake light issues resolved. The problem wasn't permanently fixed because after a bit the wires went back to their original position and they had to be manipulated again. Since the manipulation works each and every time I now know that the issue is either the plug or the fuse box. Also, that plug is at the same level of the R101 and R102 relays that affect my starter solenoid and entertainment delay (radio). The relays are on the left and the plug is on the right of the fuse box causing me to think that the contacts to the board behind the face of the fuse box are weak.
A problem I'm having is I cannot for the life of me remove that plug from the fuse box. The plug below it comes out easy. This plug is stuck. I depress that snap peace that secures the plug but it is stock. I don't want to pull too hard and risk breaking something because its all plastic....14 year old plastic. Any suggestions?
My other question today: what are the colors of the wires that go to the (1) starter solenoid relay, (2) entertainment relay and (3) right rear brake/ (4) directional bulb. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by yzdeaner; 04-11-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:11 PM
So, yesterday I finally removed my fuse box. It was a bit of a pain. ...took about 1 hour. After removal, I separated the fuse box and inspected the board and looked for any burn marks etc. Didn't find anything. The unit was very clean. After reassembly I re-installed the box and hoped for the best. So far, everything is working great. My truck starts each and every time, the radio is not cutting out and my directional,rear brake and hazard lights on the rear right side are working. Granted the temperature has been in the 39-51 degree temperature range. I did nothing to the ground wires coming off the fuse box. So, at least for now, my problems appear resolved.
I sincerely want to thank everyone for their time and input.
Best regards.

Quick Reply: Do I need a new fuse box.