09 F150 charging system

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 F150 charging system

I have a 09 F150 I just recently changed the alternator on it. The problem started when my "check charging system" light came on and all of my electronic components stop working dash light,radio etc. I made it home so the following morning I charged my battery and replaced the alternator.. I took it for a test run and all of sudden the Check charging system lights comes on again.. I took it to O'Reilly to let them check it out and the results came back "battery good " and alternator putting out 14 volts. Later that evening I drove it everything seems to be good but my headlights and interior lights have a small flicker when idling. I running out of ideas Can someone suggest some new ideas please.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you test the alternator before swapping it when you got the check charging system indication ?

I am thinking battery cable ends could be corroded or damaged in the lug connector itself.

Did you check these for damage ?

Old 02-13-2017, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually I went to alternator shop and they tested it on the truck and they told it was bad. They told me they didn't have the parts to rebuild it, so I purchased one from O'Reilly. O'Reilly did test my old one off the truck..

In the morning I will try clean my cables and look for any flaws in that area..

Thanks for your help

Quick Reply: 09 F150 charging system