Power on no matter what.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power on no matter what.

Hi everyone.

Today I picked up a new to me truck. I am prepping for winter and growing my fleet of trucks so that me and everyone else in my family that may need a truck will have one to use. The new one is a 1994 f150 4x4 302. The problem I need some ideas on hunting down and finding more of a place to start is that no matter what without a key in the ignition the power is constantly on to everything in the truck, Radio, lights, heater, everything....

I need some ideas on what to look at to start trouble shooting. The truck is rough but will be a project if it makes it threw the winter. Where would y'all start to find the issue or try to troubleshoot. I shall try to attach a picture.

Any ideas are appreciated .

Old 09-24-2016, 09:22 PM
So heres a list of projects I am going to do for this truck :

1. Replace the Igniton cylinder
2. Oil Change
3. New rocker switch and location for the fog lights
4. Quotes for cab rust repair as I do not weld or have a place I can weld currently.
5. Debate on making this my Storm Chasing Truck or into a pilot truck depending if I get into that field.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:21 AM
A wild stab in the dark would be that someone "hot wired" power to all of the accessories you mentioned.
I am assuming you can start and stop the engine with the key, but the rest work regardless of it's position?
I would start by getting a wiring diagram for the truck so you can determine what wires are what. A haynes or chilton book contain them and I have found them helpful for plenty of other repairs.

I would GUESS that the easiest place one would be able to bypass the ignition switch and make all those items run is along the steering column wiring or at the fuse block.
Is there an extra wire on the battery positive post? If so can you follow it to where it goes? if there are extra wires (more than a thick one to the starter circuit and maybe one smaller one to the alternator. Where do they go?)

Maybe add a photo of the engine compartment, battery and wires attached to it. a shot under the dash of the steering column wires and fuse block could help with more accurate advice, especially if there are "extra" wires

Last edited by 1972-2003f150; 09-25-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by 1972-2003f150
A wild stab in the dark would be that someone "hot wired" power to all of the accessories you mentioned.
I am assuming you can start and stop the engine with the key, but the rest work regardless of it's position?
I would start by getting a wiring diagram for the truck so you can determine what wires are what. A haynes or chilton book contain them and I have found them helpful for plenty of other repairs.

I would GUESS that the easiest place one would be able to bypass the ignition switch and make all those items run is along the steering column wiring or at the fuse block.
Is there an extra wire on the battery positive post? If so can you follow it to where it goes?
The hot wire was also a thought I had. I figured id start with the ignition cylinder cause without a key it just spins granted it wont start but I want that fixed and its cheap. You are right that with the key it starts and stops the enging but the rest is working regardless of its position. There are a few extra wires that I need to fully trace whoever put the fog lights on did s hack job the wires run all over the engine bay and into the cab. I was starting to when it started to storm here and I had to call it quits cause I did not have the truck in a shop. I should of put it in the shop but didnt feel like making room. I see atleast one wire from the battery that on my other ford that I had did not have.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by MNRichRon
The hot wire was also a thought I had. I figured id start with the ignition cylinder cause without a key it just spins granted it wont start but I want that fixed and its cheap. You are right that with the key it starts and stops the enging but the rest is working regardless of its position. There are a few extra wires that I need to fully trace whoever put the fog lights on did s hack job the wires run all over the engine bay and into the cab. I was starting to when it started to storm here and I had to call it quits cause I did not have the truck in a shop. I should of put it in the shop but didnt feel like making room. I see atleast one wire from the battery that on my other ford that I had did not have.
I am ONLY guessing here, but there are only two places to get always "hot" power. One is right from the battery and the other is a "BAT" (battery) terminal at the fuse block. Odds are there is a wire from one of those locations to a common wire that controls your affected circuits. I bet it would stick out as not from the factory

Old 09-25-2016, 12:43 AM
having a wiring diagram will help decode what color wires go where without having to trace them

Old 09-25-2016, 12:44 AM
I am ONLY guessing here, but there are only two places to get always "hot" power. One is right from the battery and the other is a "BAT" (battery) terminal at the fuse block. Odds are there is a wire from one of those locations to a common wire that controls your affected circuits. I bet it would stick out as not from the factory
I will look into this tomorrow when its not raining or when i make room and move the truck to the shop. I know that theirs atleast 1 or two wires running directly from the battery into the cab that are not OE and their for the fog lights but I havent been able to trace where they go in the truck I found where they come in but that it so far. The guy I bought it from said that they where on a toggle switch which he had to disconnect cause it started to melt.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:45 AM
having a wiring diagram will help decode what color wires go where without having to trace them
I am going to try and find my chilton from my 95 that I had I think that the diagram may be in their otherwise I will try to look one up or buy a new book.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by MNRichRon
I am going to try and find my chilton from my 95 that I had I think that the diagram may be in their otherwise I will try to look one up or buy a new book.
Good luck, give an update on your results.

I would also suggest adding a relay to your fog light circuits or you can melt switches. simple wire diagrams are available online to help you with that project.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:58 AM
Good luck, give an update on your results.

I would also suggest adding a relay to your fog light circuits or you can melt switches. simple wire diagrams are available online to help you with that project.
I was planning to getting ride of the fog lights and getting some different ones. I will ahve to see if they have a relay if not I will add one if i keep them. These ones seem cheap and they used wires that to me seem like they would work but I would of gone a bit heavier.

I shall give a updated at some point tomorrow maybe even some more pictures depending on how the day goes.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:40 AM
here is a simple diagram for fog lights using a relay.

You can use any colors you want, but it gives you exactly how you want to hook it up

Last edited by 1972-2003f150; 09-25-2016 at 11:41 AM. Reason: add info
Old 09-25-2016, 12:01 PM
here is a simple diagram for fog lights using a relay.

You can use any colors you want, but it gives you exactly how you want to hook it up
Thank you so much. I got some news and pictures

Old 09-25-2016, 12:06 PM
So I replaced the Ignition switch. Now I have door chimes and the truck starts easier.

Heres some picutures of what I found. I am currently trying to find my manual or a place with a manaul that I can buy to figure out the wires.

This was just dangling I replugged it in.

This I found under the dash. I see that theres a bare wire but I am not sure what it is for now till I find a wire diagram.

I am not sure what this plug is for either their is nothing going to it. Havent tested it yet.

This is how they ran the wires for the fog lights. No fuse no relay nothing and as you said it would melt a switch heres the switch.

I have to run a errand with a family member so now i have to take a break from working on the truck but im going to take my ipad and try and find a wire diagram for the dash.

I will use the diagram you gave me for the fog lights if i keep them. Going to keep troublshooting things now.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:27 PM
So I was looking over everthing and the wires that are taped are just taped off not connected together. I was speaking with someone else and they said when the iginiton cylinder broke it may of damaged something else causing the constant power. I have found the loud exhaust source someone did a hack job from the cat to the exhaust with wrong pipe so that will be on the list to fix. I know I need to do the u-joints and I see the oil pan is leaking so that should be attended to as well as the rear and front main. The door hinges on the drivers side will need to be either replaced or fixed they are bent and tweaked and not working proper.

Not bad for a $500 truck I do not think. I may go start on some more projects after dinner. I just got the truck up to the shop so I am indoors and can work on it.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:08 PM
Any luck finding a manual?
here's a link to the Haynes on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Pick-up-Bronc...anuals%2C+ford

And this is a link to the chilton version

https://www.amazon.com/Chiltons-Pick...anuals%2C+ford

either one will offer plenty of help replacing u joints and hinges and such. Plus wire diagrams

Also I see that switch has a burned looking connector

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power on no matter what.