Brake switch gets no voltage. cant shift out of park and no brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake switch gets no voltage. cant shift out of park and no brake lights

Okie so I have a 1999 ford f 150 here and the trans wont shift out of park with the engine running. once I turn the truck of it shifts fine, brake lights don't work either. now the brake switch is replaced and the solenoid as well however the connector to the brake switch is not getting any voltage at all. im having trouble finding the circuit diagram to trace where the circuit goes after the brake switch connector. if anyone can give me some insite on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by ballin24ss; 01-28-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:37 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Go directly to fuse F13 under the dash and check it FIRST.

If blown, do NOT [note the added emphasis?] just replace it as it's all too likely that you have a truck that recall 05S28 was not performed on and the truck is a fire hazard. Either call your dealer and check or use Ford's online recall checker to see if that VIN had the work done. If it has not, disconnect the switch from the master cylinder before replacing the fuse.

If F13 is okay, check the wiring immediately adjacent to the brake pedal switch. It has a bad habit of breaking the conductor inside the wire insulation and you can't see it.

If you have to drive it in the meantime, follow the shift interlock instructions that are in your owner's manual.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:50 PM
which connector on the master cylinder? The one attached to the bottom of the tank? This truck by the way doesn't have cruise control

Old 01-30-2016, 07:41 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
No cruise - then what he posted does not apply but you do have to check that fuse.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by ballin24ss
which connector on the master cylinder? The one attached to the bottom of the tank? This truck by the way doesn't have cruise control
If no cruise (don't see that very often), then do straight to the fuse, then check the wiring at the brake pedal switch.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:47 PM
this is one of our fleet vehicles and its as basic as it gets. not familiar with ford systems. the fuse is good, im thinking there is an open in the circuit somewhere but im not sure where the entire circuit runs after the brake switch.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:29 AM
Check where I told you to, it's a not uncommon failure.

The brake lamp circuit on a 99 is very simple. The feed from fuse F13 goes to the switch via light green.red wire. When the switch closes, that voltage is distributed out to the stop lamps (high mount directly, corners and trailer adapter via the MFS) on the light green wire.

Quick Reply: Brake switch gets no voltage. cant shift out of park and no brake lights