Battery or starter again...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery or starter again...

Have had a issue the last few days with my truck and not sure if its the battery or the starter again. Ford replaced the starter assembly a few yrs back as I had issues with it but this is a new one.
Alternator was replaced two yrs ago and output is fine
Battery at sitting state in truck reads 12.67 volts and in running mode I get a 14 volt read
Battery is a Motorcraft BX65 replaced just 4 yrs ago.

When I first go out in morning the truck seems like a low battery situation where the starter bogs down and then all of a sudden will kick in and start the truck. Any other starts later in the day are fine. Let it sit 12hrs and it does the exact same thing.
Pulled the battery out and trickle charged it over night an put it in and it did the exact same thing on first try where it seemed like a dead battery and then it fired right up spinning the starter fine. Instantly shut it down and tried again and started up fine spinning the starter with no issues..

Am I looking at a battery that may be reading volts fine but amps may be starting to lag?
Or is my starter assembly starting to go and causing a load issue on start just in the mornings?

I tried putting on extra load of headlights, flashers, radio , wipers and etc to bog down battery on 2nd and 3rd starts but it cranked right up fine ...

I would think if it was starter it would do it all the time and if battery it would also do it all the time or more than just first start in am...Not sure what test to do to rule one or the other out now....

Last edited by 2000FordStyle; 07-07-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
maybe you've got a leaking injector that only shows up on first start up. extra liquid gas would make it hard to crank over the first time, but shutting it off and restarting doesnt allow for enough time to leak down

Old 07-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Patman
maybe you've got a leaking injector that only shows up on first start up. extra liquid gas would make it hard to crank over the first time, but shutting it off and restarting doesnt allow for enough time to leak down
Wouldn't a leaking injector ( hoping just one ) cause more of a hard to start issue due to flooded cylinder with engine just cranking and cranking till its started? Or are you suggesting a vapor lock kind of situation causing excessive pressure in one cylinder?

My issue is more like a dead battery scenario with the clicks and slow to turn starter and then all of a sudden its fine...Thats why I`m a little confused with the symptoms..

Guess I could pull fuel rails with injectors attached and see if any drip out on a pressured state if I cant do it on the F150 easily.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have the battery load tested . I see lots of batteries that do not last much more than 3 years .

Old 07-11-2013, 03:01 PM
OK..Truck sat for a few days now and went out and it fired right up with no symptoms/issues and then the same again this am. I'm really wondering if all this rain we have been having could have caused a moisture issue that has dried out.
Checked all the battery connections all the way down to starter and they are as clean as the day they were put on. Will get the battery load tested just in case but this is just plain strange...

Old 07-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May be water intrusion into the fuse box/gem /bcm module . A windshield leak will make it worse !

Quick Reply: Battery or starter again...