No Lights, No Tailights, No DashLights!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Lights, No Tailights, No DashLights!

Alright, so Sat. night I went to the CarWash to wash the truck. Everything was working normal. So, as I'm done washing it, and crank it up to move over to the Vacuum, I turn my lights on and everything come on like normal, but all of a sudden the gauge cluster, headlights/parklights, tailights and license plate lights all cut off and buzz out and they wouldn't cut back on! I'm like wtf? So, luckily I had someone follow me home with their brights & flashers to park it.

The following morning, I checked all my fuses and and changed all the blown ones and especially all the ones that control anything that has to do with the lights. I switched the relays around inside the cab in the fuse box and suddenly the lights came on, then all of a sudden went back out. When I flip from high to low, K can hear the "pop" in the fuse box, like the relay isn't kicking on or something (no clue just telling ya all I hear/know). So could it be relay R201-4? I don't have another relay to swap em out with, but I could that be it? If so, I'll order 4 new ones. Anyone else have this problem and know what the cause was? Everything was working like normal when I pulled in. Then, when I hit the HIGH-BEAM lights, even the hi-beam dash indicator won't come on.

Now, I do have HID's, so I was thinking maybe it could be something faulty in them and I just need to put my halogens back in, but I've never encountered anything like this, but it just may be a problem, idk? But, after I changed out all of the fuses, when I cut the headlights on, the HIGH BEAM [Halogens] come on, but nothing else. No park lights, no tailights, instrument cluster lights or license plate lights. Please help me out guys! My truck has been parked all week and I've been driving my Grandma's little Chevy HHR [Too small, but loving the MPG] and I'm ready to drive the truck before I sell it.

Thanks Guys!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Someone PLEASE help me.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Now that you pulled the junk PnP out, did you check the low beam fuses with a meter ?
- check them installed with a meter, from both pins on the back of the fuse to a known good ground. When doing this you need the main headlamp switch turned to the headlamp position and the MFS in the low beam position. Use the on position, not the autolamp position when testing.

Same for the parking lamps, turn on the parking lamps and test the fuses for the instrument illumination and parking lamps

Don't know why you are on a relay swap-fest, there is only 1 relay for the high beams, none for the low beams or parking lamps. Check your owners manual for the correct fuse location, don't use the "checked all my fuses" route, there are only a handful of specific ones that need to be checked at this time.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:56 PM
I'll check them with a meter sometime this week when I go back to bother with the truck.

O, btw, I'm not on any "RELAY SWAP-FEST"..
I was simply just weighing my options here and checking every fuse & relay that had to do with the headlights! And like I said, when I DID change the Relay for the high-beams, the lights came on, and shortened right back out. So, I'll go from here.

Last edited by sweet_n_low150; 01-28-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Maybe water intrusion in your HID circuit shorting power to ground. Blows fuse every time you turn on headlights. Do your HIDs have halo or Angle eyes?

Old 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
Maybe water intrusion in your HID circuit shorting power to ground. Blows fuse every time you turn on headlights. Do your HIDs have halo or Angle eyes?

That's definitely what I think happened. I pulled my the HIDS out, and unplugged all the ballast, and the driver side ballast was corrupt, with a bunch of brown corrosion stuff and it didn't look to good. Maybe that was the problem. But, now that the Hids are OUT, and the halogens are back in and the fuses are changed, still nothing comes on? I'm confused.
I'm going to go mess with the truck some more this week, but I'm still trying to see which Fuses I should check with a meter!

No, I don't have all the Riced out Halo & Angel Eyes lol.

Last edited by sweet_n_low150; 01-28-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply: No Lights, No Tailights, No DashLights!