Ignition on then short?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition on then short?

Truck is '98 XLT Ex. Cab 6' bed 4.6L A/T 4x4. No keyless entry (as far as I can tell - no Fob came with original looking key.)

I'm looking through the wire diagrams now but would like to see if someone knows what might be going on from experience.

Hazards have never worked. Recently blinkers intermittently started messing up, or at least on the dash - I actually assumed that my blinkers weren't working, since the dash wasn't blinking. Double checked, all turn signals work so bulbs are good. Figured out that I could hold the MFS part way, and the blinker on the dash at least would work (Sort of hard to check the exterior blinker at same time...) Took a chance, got a new multifunction switch. Installed, and when first testing, hazards and all turn signals worked! Then all of a sudden it starts "shorting out" - dash lights very dim.

If I turn ignition on with multifunction switch on, immediately dash "shorts out". Disconnect battery and reconnect, and it will repeat. If I have the blinkers "off" then it seems to take a little longer to "short", because the dash starts the "ding, ding" but shorts after 2. (I think 4 chimes is normal before it stops?)

First thing I found is the blinker/hazard relay under the dash is HARD WIRED in. Very near to the relay there is one side of a connector that I assume would be for the relay. So of course I am going to start here. I will probably just find a generic set of connectors so at least I can isolate the relay first.

Any ideas where else to start? Sort of suspect the anti-theft (was an issue with another mid 90's Ford). I did remove the ignition key cylinder...would that have anything to do with it?

EDIT: Thought maybe I could isolate the flasher relay by pulling the two fuses connected to it (1, 23 per Haynes manual), still shorts.

Last edited by 98_XLT; 08-28-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If it were "shorting", you'd have either smoke or a blown fuse.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Resolved - or at least I think.

Some corrosion I wasn't seeing in the dark last night (on inside of terminal). Truck now starts fine, blinkers and hazards all work just as they should. Whew.

Last edited by 98_XLT; 08-28-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Ignition on then short?