Parking light issues and electrical problems in the cold, need help quick!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Parking light issues and electrical problems in the cold, need help quick!!!

Hi, I've been around here for quite a while and never registered but right now I need help badly. With this bad weather we've been having this last two weeks my truck has taken a turn for the worst. Here is a list of problems that Have occured in the last two weeks. Any info an help will be greatly appriciated.

Here is a quick run down of my truck.

2004 F150 super cab FX4.
cloth seats, power windows(no rear sliding window), Hid's installed, remote start installed from dealership, column shift, aftermarket touchscreen dvd player and subwoofer and amp combo under rear seat, upgraded speakers and bambi mod for fog lights and hi-beams.

Here are my main problems within the last two weeks of freezing temps. and below zero days with snow and ice. Had to install a new battery exactly two weeks ago tommorow and had the guage pegging problem.

1) Parking lights are not shutting off even when the headlamp switch is manually switched to off. Started last night.

2) Map lights come on when the door is opened but will not switch on when manually pressed. I have the overhead rails system with front map lights and rear dome lights. No dvd player.

3) Drivers door lock switch will lock both doors but will not unlock. I have no problem with the passengers window switch or the keyless entry or outside key pad, just lock switch has stopped working. I installed a new one that I got from the dealership but it didn't solve the problem.

Any help would be greatly appriciated as this is my daily driver and I can't be charging the battery each night since the lights will not go out, and it would be nice to have the switch and interior lights work as well.

Thanks,
~Tyler~

Old 01-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well the mods you list seem to coincide with some of the problems you are having so I would backtrack and check the wiring on things, it sounds like you might've mixed up some wires.

To save your battery, pull the fuses or disconnect the (+) post

Old 01-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Well the mods you list seem to coincide with some of the problems you are having so I would backtrack and check the wiring on things, it sounds like you might've mixed up some wires.

To save your battery, pull the fuses or disconnect the (+) post
Thanks for the reply. I've checked out removing the bambi mod(it has been in for over a year and no problems) and that didn't seem to make a difference. The HID's have been in for about a month now and have noticed some flickering but supposedly thats natural. I have noticed that after 20 mins the lights will finally shut off but I can't seem to figure out how to get them to go off sooner.

~Tyler~

Old 01-16-2011, 05:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1. What is the brand of RMST ? Is it also a RKE ( Remote Keyless Entry ) ?

2. Did the truck come with the factory RKE / door keypad ?

3. Did you check the bulb for the map lamps, this is different than the dome lamp ( there are 2 bulbs in there ).

The parking lamps and door locks could be either the connector to the BSM ( Body Security Module ) or a splice in the driver's side door sill or the ground on the BSM.
Depends on what the answers are to #1 & #2.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
1. What is the brand of RMST ? Is it also a RKE ( Remote Keyless Entry ) ?

2. Did the truck come with the factory RKE / door keypad ?

3. Did you check the bulb for the map lamps, this is different than the dome lamp ( there are 2 bulbs in there ).

The parking lamps and door locks could be either the connector to the BSM ( Body Security Module ) or a splice in the driver's side door sill or the ground on the BSM.
Depends on what the answers are to #1 & #2.
Thanks for the info. As far as I can trace my wiring and everything for my dome lamps is correct. I checked the mitchell diagrams in our boods and traced out the lines and they are fine, so I have no idea whats causing their issue.

As for the brand of remote start it is excalibur and yes the truck did come with remote keyles entry and also has the door keypad which still works with no issues as of the moment.

~Tyler~

Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bulb not wire, as in burnt out bulb........

With factory RKE, the door lock switch is not connected to the door lock directly, it is via the BSM.

Start by checking the BSM connector to make sure it does not have any burnt pins in it.

The unlock wire is the Pink w/ Light Green stripe wire. The switch switches ground to this circuit, to indicate to the BSM to unlock the doors.

Make sure at the BSM connector that when you press unlock, that ground is on this wire.

Thread on removing the back seat to get to the BSM in the Technical Articles.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Ok, well update for this morning. The truck sat in the heated garage for the first time lastnight and was able to thaw out for the most part and all of a sudden the map lights work this morning. As for the parking lamps, they still come on immediately when the battery cable is hooked back up and the lock switch still has its little issue of not unlocking the doors.

Another odd question is when I hook up the negative battery each time the horn honks and then stops, is this normal or part of the security system from the factory?

Thanks,
~Tyler~

Quick Reply: Parking light issues and electrical problems in the cold, need help quick!!!