Airbag deployment question.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RevTann
anyone have a DEFINITIVE answer as to the speed at which my 2007 F-150 King Crew Lariat airbags should deploy...?
Yes. Here it is: speed isn't what triggers the impact sensors. You can be doing 150mph and hit a line of hay bales, and the airbags won't deploy. Or you can hit a main battle tank at 15mph, and they'll blow. The sensors detect acceleration toward the rear. If the vehicle 'decelerates' enough that your head might hit the steering wheel, the airbag blows. If your head didn't get near the steering wheel, the bags shouldn't have blown because they weren't necessary. If this scheister wants to sue someone, give him Ford's phone number. You didn't design or build that truck.
Originally Posted by code58
...I have done a lot of Ford air bags and ALWAYS replaced the sensors because they DO NOT reset (meaning when the ball passes through the "tunnel" it does not return because the channel is magnetic and that holds the ball in contact with the contacts and is therefore "expended".
I haven't specifically looked up an '02 or '07 F150, but I'm pretty sure you're mistaken. The magnets are at the normal (UN-wrecked) end of the tube, just like an inertia switch for the fuel pump. The sensors for my '99 CV reset; so do those in '93-96 F150s. So do those on every other vehicle I've ever worked on (Ford, Land Rover, Jaguar, Saab, VW, GM, Toyota, Honda, Mitsu...) of every year.

If the magnet was at the contact end, the sensor would arrive at the factory "expended" due to tilting & jarring during shipping. And if they hadn't by then, they would the first time you used the brakes.

Last edited by Steve83; 10-11-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seat belt tensioners, air bags, cut carpet?

Hi guys. Wife wrecked my 02 F150 Super Crew with just enough force to deploy both driver's side and passenger's side airbags. Both seat belt tensioners deployed locking the seat belts in place. Body repair shop replaced both airbags and seat belts and associated sensors, parts, etc. About a month after the repairs were completed while vacuuming the carpet, I noticed a cut in the carpet on the driver's side and the passenger's side of the floorboard just to each side of the middle. See photo below. The carpet wasn't cut before I took my truck into the shop and no work has been performed on it since then. Of course the body repair shop denies that they cut it. Is there any reason they may have cut the carpet when replacing the seat belts? I'm at a loss.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we have a 2000 f150

we have a 2000 f150 and the driver side airbag deploed and need to know if that something to do with the computer in the truck

Old 04-08-2015, 04:25 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Take it to a dealer or qualified shop. Airbag systems should not be messed with by anyone not qualified.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by flocrawford85
we have a 2000 f150 and the driver side airbag deploed and need to know if that something to do with the computer in the truck
There's not really a "computer" in the truck unless someone added a vehicle PC. There are several sophisticated & complex electronic modules; some of them are networked. There's one for the engine/trans; another for the airbags; another for the instruments; another for the driver's door... So yes: airbag deployment has "something to do" with at least one of those modules.

How does knowing that help you, though?

Quick Reply: Airbag deployment question.......