Back up camera with Gentex rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back up camera with Gentex rear view mirror

Ok, I've done a lot of searching and haven't found a definitive answer on how to proceed, so I'm asking for some help.

First off, I'm looking to install a back up camera and a rear view mirror with LCD display in my 2006 F150 Screw.

I've picked out the Boyo VTL300CIR for the camera like this:http://www.amazon.com/Boyo-VTL300CIR...ata/B0043PH31M

For the rear view mirror, I am planning on going with the Gentex GENK352 like this: http://www.amazon.com/Gentex-GENK352.../dp/B003ANGUVW

Has anyone installed a Gentex mirror? And, if so, was it easy? Anything special that I need? From the reviews I've found online, it appears that they aren't too bad to install. Do I need a harness? Or is the one it comes with ok? I also have the compass box on my current mirror.

For the backup camera, it appears that I just splice into the trail plug for my 12 v power and remote power?

Any help or war stories would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ben.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Most of the mirrors are probably not much more than a power, ground and video cable inputs. A somewhat simple install if you can do wire splicing. You can splice into the trailer plug but what I did was splice into the one of my reverse light power wires.

But you know you can probably find them a lot cheaper than $358.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by thenewbreed
Most of the mirrors are probably not much more than a power, ground and video cable inputs. A somewhat simple install if you can do wire splicing. You can splice into the trailer plug but what I did was splice into the one of my reverse light power wires.

But you know you can probably find them a lot cheaper than $358.
Thanks!. I have found the camera for 109, but the best I found on the mirror was $358, any suggestion on where I may find a better deal?

Has anyone had any luck replacing their mirror with the Gentex? I'm a little nervous about this part. The wirring I'm sure I can figure out.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I collect GenTex mirrors from JYs & install them in just about everything. Never one with video, but that's just one more easy connector.

But I wouldn't buy them new - they're too expensive. And I wouldn't want a tiny backup screen in the RV mirror, anyway. I've been doing a lot of research on backup cameras recently, and when I get one, it'll be from this seller. Theirs are wired professional-grade cameras & monitors; most with capacity to add more cameras. This one is about as cheap as I'd go. I'm also considering a head unit with video that supports a backup camera, like this one.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Steve83
I collect GenTex mirrors from JYs & install them in just about everything. Never one with video, but that's just one more easy connector.

But I wouldn't buy them new - they're too expensive. And I wouldn't want a tiny backup screen in the RV mirror, anyway. I've been doing a lot of research on backup cameras recently, and when I get one, it'll be from this seller. Theirs are wired professional-grade cameras & monitors; most with capacity to add more cameras. This one is about as cheap as I'd go. I'm also considering a head unit with video that supports a backup camera, like this one.
Thanks Steve. I kind of wanted to go the separate monitor route as well, but I'm not smart enough to find a good place to mount or how to mount the display. How are you planning on mounting yours? I like the mirror one just for the fact that I do not need to find an alternate mounting location.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Those in the first link come with mounts that can be double-sided-taped to any dash (note how the baseplates are slotted to make it easy to bend around compound curves), but you could also velcro-strap the monitor to the sun visor & flip it down when you need it, or fabricate a bracket that screws to the dash behind a trim panel & sticks out the edge (no visible damage or holes) to hold the monitor.

Quick Reply: Back up camera with Gentex rear view mirror