Aftermarket Reverse Sensor wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Reverse Sensor wiring

I purchased a BullyDog reverse sensor for my 06 F150 HD. I purchased a wired, versus wireless, unit because I want to wire in a bypass switch. This way I can easily turn it off if needed. I plan to wire it using a factory bypass button, the same button/switch used with the factory reverse sensor system.

Since I'm not very familiar with these type of things, I wanted to ask how I should do this? Should I just put the factory bypass switch inline? Should I use some type of relay inline and the bypass switch controls the relay? If so, what type of relay?

Also, I really loved how the factor reverse sensor turned the radio volume down when activated. Is there anyway to wire something similar?

Thanks for the help. This feature is the one I miss most since trading in my 04 Lariat.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You would have to wire the factory park aid module switch to a latching relay setup, to it would turn off the system, it is a momentary switch.

Might be easier to use a standard SPST switch that will fit into that area.

The mute function, you need to see if the unit you purchased has the mute output to connect to the factory radio's mute input ( dark blue wire on the head unit ). The part that is unknown is if the mute output from the PAM is a transition to + DCV or ground.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks SSCULLY! I'll have to research the info you gave me so I understand it better. Definitely gave me a good place to start.

I couldn't find any reverse sensor systems that stated they muted the radio. I know this one doesn't have any provisions for it. Wondered if it was possible by some other means. I know it seems stupid to go trough all this but I really like the factory setup. Plus, its always fun to tinker.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Reverse Sensor wiring