Help, 1997 Explorer - Has Speed Sensitive Wipers - What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2001, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help, 1997 Explorer - Has Speed Sensitive Wipers - What is it?

Hello,

I recently bought my wife a 1997 Explorer, 4dr, Automatic, AWD, 5.0L. The
manual says it has a "Speed Sensitive Wiper" system installed and how to
program the system to engage or disengage. The problem is the manual does
not say what the system is. Does it:

1) Automatically adjust the speed of the wipers in the "on" position or does
it adjust the speed of the interval (faster/slower) when in the intermittent
position?
2) If intermittent position, where in the intermittent range should it be
set?

-or-

3) Is this one of those things that sounds good but should just be left
alone?

Any help would be appreciated, I hate to let the wife think I don't know
something (ha, ha)

Scott

------------------
1997 F-250 Light Duty, Super Cab, Short Bed, 5.4L, 4x4, 3.73LS, Gibson SuperTruck exhaust, K&N Filter, BFG AT(KO) 285/75R16, Westin Black Nerf Bars, SuperChip, Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks.

Old 01-22-2001, 09:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on the other Ford... Hopefully you'll have more luck with yours than I had with mine.

Speed sensetive wipers on it adjust the delay interval when in the interval mode. For example, say the delay when you are stopped is 10 seconds between wipes. When you take off down the road and get above a certain speed (I forget exactly what speed it is) the computer shortens the delay slightly to maybe 7 seconds between wipes. It's not a dramatic change, but it is noticeable. Is it helpful? I really don't pay much attention to it... if I can't see, I crank them, if I can see, I turn them down. I think it's more a novelty thing....
-Joe-

Oh, by the way, check out the greatest Explorer site on the net.... www.4x4central.com

Lots of good info there, like there is here for our trucks....
-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

'00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Holandia Sunroof, built 11/99 picked up 10/00!Clear Corners, Manik Stainless Steel 1-piece brush guard, Custom CB wiring, Uniden PC76-XLW CB radio with K-40 Magna-Mount antenna (for now), 1 set of 165 watt KC Daylighters (for now... more on the way) Custom switch mounting plate and overhead console.
List of planned mods: Clear tails, color matched trailer hitch with stainless steel ball, torsion bar tweak, bug deflector, spray in liner, and a tonneau of some sort...

93 Probe GT teal, OE rims painted to match, bone stock drivetrain.

Old 01-23-2001, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the information. I thought that may be the case. Like you if I can't see, I crank them up. But, the wife wanted to know ehat the system does, thanks.

SCott

------------------
1997 F-250 Light Duty, Super Cab, Short Bed, 5.4L, 4x4, 3.73LS, Gibson SuperTruck exhaust, K&N Filter, BFG AT(KO) 285/75R16, Westin Black Nerf Bars, SuperChip, Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks.

Quick Reply: Help, 1997 Explorer - Has Speed Sensitive Wipers - What is it?