Foglights w/ Headlights for 97?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2000, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Foglights w/ Headlights for 97?

I did it!! The switch modification is similar to the posts for the 2000's. The only difference is that the "ramps" in the switch are a little more difficult to modify because they are inside of a "cup", not on the outside edge as shown for the later models. For the wiring, I have three plugs on my switch. The brown wire is on the leftmost plug, the white/black is on the rightmost plug. Splice these two together, and viola!

------------------
1997 F-150 4X4
5.4L
Automatic
LeBra Tonneau
K&N Filter
Gibson Exhaust
B&M Shiftplus
Xeonblue Lightbulbs
Foglights without headlights!!!

[This message has been edited by Hywaystar (edited 01-01-2001).]

Old 01-07-2001, 12:19 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hywaystar:
I did it!! The switch modification is similar to the posts for the 2000's. The only difference is that the "ramps" in the switch are a little more difficult to modify because they are inside of a "cup", not on the outside edge as shown for the later models. For the wiring, I have three plugs on my switch. The brown wire is on the leftmost plug, the white/black is on the rightmost plug. Splice these two together, and viola!
</font>

------------------
1997 F-150 4X4
5.4L
Automatic
LeBra Tonneau
K&N Filter
Gibson Exhaust
B&M Shiftplus
Xeonblue Lightbulbs
Foglights without Headlights
Torsion bar level

jopamu@yahoo.com

Old 01-07-2001, 12:53 AM
I am a little confused. What did you do? Did you wire it up so that the foglights come on when you turn on the headlights? That is about the most frustrating thing to drive against. I drive about 6000 miles per week and it still drives me crazy when I see vehicles driving with the foglights on when there is no fog to be seen. It is just as bad as facing into someones high beams. Just my opinion.

Old 01-07-2001, 10:57 PM
Question

never mind...

[This message has been edited by tedoca (edited 01-08-2001).]

Old 01-08-2001, 12:20 AM
Cool

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Turtle9343:
[B]I am a little confused. What did you do?
The foglights are wired from the factory to come on with the headlights. I think that defeats the purpose of foglights. When PROPERLY aimed, foglights are much more efficient than headlights in heavy fog. To use both, as Ford forces you to do, the glare from the headlights makes driving just as bad as not having foglights.
I just modified my switch so that the foglights can come on without the headlights.

As far as driving with them on at all times, why is there problem? Foglight beam patterns are designed to diffuse rapidly, spread a wide beam a short distance. Why should that bother other drivers? Adjusted correctly, they stay low to the road, and if anything, they create more visibility to other drivers.
That's my humble opinion.

By the way, you say you drive 6000 miles a week. What do you drive? The Space Shuttle?
I am a professional driver, and on a long day I might drive 500 miles legally. That's only 2500 miles a week.

------------------
1997 F-150 4X4
5.4L
Automatic
LeBra Tonneau
K&N Filter
Gibson Exhaust
B&M Shiftplus
Xeonblue Lightbulbs
Torsion bar level

jopamu@yahoo.com

Old 01-10-2001, 11:49 PM
You must be a local driver then. I am a professional driver as well and I am having a slow day if I go less than 700 miles. And by the way 500 miles times 7 days is 3500, not 2500.

Old 01-11-2001, 12:57 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Turtle9343:
You must be a local driver then. I am a professional driver as well and I am having a slow day if I go less than 700 miles. And by the way 500 miles times 7 days is 3500, not 2500.</font>

Yes, I am proud to say I'm a local driver. I spent my time in the trenches, and now I make more money than I ever made over the road. 5 days a week (I have weekends off) X 500 equals 2500 miles a week.
You say that you're a professional driver, at 10 hours a day legal driving time you'd never make 700 miles. By your formula, 700/day X 7 days (which is again,,, illegal) you still have only 4900. That is a far cry from the 6000 miles/week that you originally stated.
A driver, I won't deny you are.
A professional? I think you answered that one.
Have a safe trip, just please don't fall asleep on my part of the highway.

[This message has been edited by Hywaystar (edited 01-11-2001).]

Trending Topics

Old 01-11-2001, 08:59 PM
Hey Hywaystar,
Do you by any chance have any pics of the ramps and the wiring? And was everything else the same, including pulling the switch out and apart? Thanks

Old 01-12-2001, 12:41 AM
First, As you can see I live on the west coast where the speed limit is often 75. The lowest it goes where I drive(phoenix to dallas three times per week) is 65 other than the cities. 10 hours times lets say 70 mph would make how many miles? That would be 700 miles right? So there is my 700 miles. Now, the ten hours is in one shift. When you take your 8 off can you drive again? I wont go into that. Now, 700 miles a day is the minimum that I would drive, even if I stayed legal. Lets say that I drive for a total of 15 hours in a day(typical day). 15 hours times 70 mph is how many miles? I come up with 1050. If I drove 1050 miles a day, which as you remember, is only at 70 miles per hour, 5 below the legal limit most of the time, I would go 6300 miles in a 6 day period. Pretty close to the claimed 6000 I mentioned earlier. yes, that would put me over my hours for the week. To that I say this: first, I never said whether or not I run legally, which normally I do but will admit not always. Second, again, that is only at 70 miles per hour, normally, I average about 72 which would bring the weekly miles up from the total of 6300. Obviously I have other duties that need to be done which does not allow me always to drive that many hours so it brings the total down. So, 6000 miles is a close estimate.
I see that you are taking a crack at those of us who drive over the road so here is my reply to that. Let me remind you of this, both of us, as truck drivers have a ****ty job. We have been given a bad rap by the ones who are not "professional". I happen to like what I do and I hope you do as well. We are on the same team. I am presuming by your comment that you are trying to get into a monetary argument which I will not do. You may make more money than you did on the road which is great for you. I on the other hand found just the opposite, I worked local for about a year and then realized I could make more money and be happier if I bought my own trucks and went over the road. I have been able to make nearly 3 times what I did locally and am very happy working "in the trenches". I wish you luck in the future and will probably see you on this site again on another post. No hard feelings sent your way and I hope none my way.

Old 01-12-2001, 02:17 PM
Buckster,
I sure do, click the link in my signature

------------------
1997 F-150 4X4
5.4L
Automatic
LeBra Tonneau
K&N Filter
Gibson Exhaust
Xeonblue Lightbulbs
Torsion bar level
B&M Shiftplus

jopamu@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by Hywaystar (edited 01-12-2001).]

Quick Reply: Foglights w/ Headlights for 97?