Gauges max out before start

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges max out before start

I've got a 99 F150, 5.4 The trucks been sitting for about 6 months. I just put in a new battery and new terminals. Now everytime I start it the gauges max out like the first time you hook up a new battery.
It still has power because my radio does not reset and my lights come on when I open the door.
Its not really a big issue, its just kinda annoying and it never did it before. Any suggestions???

Old 05-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Might want to take a look at the new terminals you installed.

Also, check the other end of both the pos & neg side, if you only replaced 1 end, the other end could be falling apart.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Yup, sounds like low voltage "gauge sweep" to me too. Probably though, the connection to the starter solenoid is good, allowing it to start normally. And, once the alternator comes on line, it overcomes the resistance at the bad connections.

- Jack

Old 05-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Might want to take a look at the new terminals you installed.

Also, check the other end of both the pos & neg side, if you only replaced 1 end, the other end could be falling apart.
Terminals are good. I've double checked them.
From what I can see the other sides are good as well. I'll pull of off and clean them up though, it can't hurt.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:15 PM
I had something similar this last winter where I had a new terminal and the starter wasn't cranking properly. Turned out that the new terminal wasn't as solid as I thought and was arcing. Just a thought but it is possible that the new terminal is working, but it is arcing under pressure and causing the restart of the gauges.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DragonBlod
I had something similar this last winter where I had a new terminal and the starter wasn't cranking properly. Turned out that the new terminal wasn't as solid as I thought and was arcing. Just a thought but it is possible that the new terminal is working, but it is arcing under pressure and causing the restart of the gauges.
Almost for sure poor continuity of some kind. I would try an Ohm reading of the things in that system to see where it is. Could even be corrosion under the insulation at the ends of the cables. I have seen it and even had it happen to me once. You couldn't see it till you probed the end of the insulation and then stripped it back. Also check all grounds. Get the Ohm meter out.

Quick Reply: Gauges max out before start