Gauges stop working

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 03:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoJodaPyro
So here we are months from the original post. My Battery Finally died 2 days ago. I went a purchased a new one yesterday. Funny, on my way to work today the gauges stopped working again. Let me first say haha, SScully, I wasn't flawed in my thinking that the battery wasn't at fault, and you are wrong. Second, does anyone have any ideas that don't insult people they don't know to fix this issue? THe following things happen as well when this happens. THe Radio sometimes stops working, but only the radio. Other times the gauges stop, and when they do the AC also stops working, not the fan, just the compressor. If I push the ODO rest button, slam the driver door, kick the side of the pedal compatment (door side not center), or lightly rap on the dash they start working again, sometimes for days and sometimes for seconds. any help would be great.
JoJo- I believe I do know what the problem is and it is a very unique problem indeed, I have had the problem (it takes different forms at different times) and know exactly how to deal with it, but after insulting one of the most helpful and knowledgeable members of this forum (Scully), I don't think I want to stick my head in that trap. You have a lot to learn in life young man, as do your fellow mechanics. Bluejay was also kind to you. Go ahead and rip me too, see if I give a rip. You have a long ways to go in life if you're going to learn from the knowledgeable and defend the unknowledgeable.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like bad ground in dash. Just a thought

Old 07-20-2011, 11:00 PM
What the hell, Ill throw this out there. The problem is still there. i posted again because it seems that someone is afraid of being the hero and showing that people who claim to be "Experts" are sometimes wrong as well. If you know how to help but refuse than I guess you guys really do stick together, and I was right that you are asses. If I knew how to help someone fix a problem, I would offer my help, and If my information was wrong, and someone was to point this out, I would take it and learn from it. I never said anyone knew everything, all I said was I didn't think that insulting people was needed. Anyhow either someone steps up and helps or not. If I get no help I guess i'll stop asking for it as it seems everyone here is an expert, but no one can seem to offer any assistance!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you think that taunting us & calling us childish names will endear you to us, you're wrong. Go buy a GM - maybe they'll stay in business long enough for you to get warranty work. Or buy a Dodge - maybe they'll still be a US company for a little while longer. Or a ricer. Either way, we don't have to 'stick together' for ALL of us not to like you - you're just not likeable, even to a bunch of people who hate each other. You're a troll.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 AM
I don't need to call anyone names, and I don't want to troll anyone. I have asked for help, and not received any. I have asked several people, received several answers and so far no one has been able to help. Like I have said, you don't need to like me, or take my side, but at least put yourself in my shoes, if someone insults your friends, or coworkers you would take offense as well. It just seems funny that no body has had this issue, or they are afraid to help a guy out. I don't want to buy a GM, I don't want to buy a Dodge. I own an F150, and I like it, when it dies i'll buy another F150. If I find out how to fix this issue i'll post a write up on how to fix it, so others that have this problem can get it taken care of sooner than 2 years.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoJodaPyro
I don't need to call anyone names, and I don't want to troll anyone. I have asked for help, and not received any. I have asked several people, received several answers and so far no one has been able to help. Like I have said, you don't need to like me, or take my side, but at least put yourself in my shoes, if someone insults your friends, or coworkers you would take offense as well. It just seems funny that no body has had this issue, or they are afraid to help a guy out. I don't want to buy a GM, I don't want to buy a Dodge. I own an F150, and I like it, when it dies i'll buy another F150. If I find out how to fix this issue i'll post a write up on how to fix it, so others that have this problem can get it taken care of sooner than 2 years.
Here it is 8 mo. later and you're back to prove to the world that you've learned nothing (and CERTAINLY haven't grown up in that time). I have had the problem starting over a year ago and have fought it to the point that the problem no longer seems to exist (I had it apart and did plenty to it in that length of time), but put NO parts in it. I personally don't believe the instrument clusters that several have installed that seemed to fix it were needed. I would be happy to PM or e-mail anyone with the problem as to what I did, but don't choose to "cast my pearls before swine" in posting the answer for you. I truly hope you do grow up and lose the attitude or you're going to go through life thinking the world's full of butt-heads, when the mirror will reveal the true one!

Old 07-29-2011, 01:57 PM
I pretty sure I have this same or very similar problem. I'd appreciate any help, suggestions from any one.
2004 F150 FX4 5.4L 84,000 miles. "Check Gauges" message on LCD. A/C fan blows air but not cool air. Speedo, tach, and temp gauge quit working and are pegged all the way to the left. I cleaned battery connections and checked some grounds. Also replaced the fuel pump/fuel level sensor/sender (on a suggestion from a different forum). Battery load tests OK.
Again, any/all help, suggestions appreciated!

Old 08-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by mmdunne
I pretty sure I have this same or very similar problem. I'd appreciate any help, suggestions from any one.
2004 F150 FX4 5.4L 84,000 miles. "Check Gauges" message on LCD. A/C fan blows air but not cool air. Speedo, tach, and temp gauge quit working and are pegged all the way to the left. I cleaned battery connections and checked some grounds. Also replaced the fuel pump/fuel level sensor/sender (on a suggestion from a different forum). Battery load tests OK.
Again, any/all help, suggestions appreciated!
First post on this great site. Fortunately, and unfortunately, I am reading this thread which hasn't gone all that well. I have the exact same symptoms as mmdunne. Frustrating to say the least. (2005 F150 FXR) . Thanks in advance for any helpful leads.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Welcome Naturaledge! Here are some related threads you will be interested in subscribing too:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...nightmare.html
https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...lows-warm.html

I'm going to re-examine the circuit board on my cluster one last time. If I still can't find any cracked solder joints, I'm just going to order a new cluster.

Will update with news.

Best regards,
Matt

Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by mmdunne
Welcome Naturaledge! Here are some related threads you will be interested in subscribing too:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...nightmare.html
https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...lows-warm.html

I'm going to re-examine the circuit board on my cluster one last time. If I still can't find any cracked solder joints, I'm just going to order a new cluster.

Will update with news.

Best regards,
Matt
Thanks Matt I'll check those other threads.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:36 AM
I have the same problem. My gages stop when I increase the rpm from idle. Door locks don't work, AC goes to heat and and I get an electrical heat smell. The battery seems too hot. When I go back to idle the AC fan comes on. When I turn the engine off and restart the gages work until I increase the rpm. I am afraid I will fry the system or something.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:45 AM
I am not an expert by any means. I can take out the gauge cluster pretty quick, but that's about it. I have no Idea why it happens like this, Mine is still broken to some extent, i will work on it more this week as i don't have to drive it and can keep it torn apart. I am going to look at changing out the LCD screen, but after that, I am just buying a new cluster.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:39 AM
I never could get my issue resolved so I ordered a new instrument cluster from Tasca for about $270. New cluster should be here on Monday.

Matt

Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Gages stop working

I replaced my battery and am not having any problems. I hope they don't come back.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:18 PM
heyhold tight! both 1/2 right do not lose track. HAVE the vehicle scanned!. new techn

[
HAVE BROUGHT NEW SYMPTOMS ETC. MORE THAN LIKELY YOU WILL FIND CODE P060B: GEM MODULE NOT RECEIVING SIGNAL OR DEGIVE IS UNABLE TO PROCESS COMMAND IN DIGITAL FORMAT, THE GEM MODULE IS NO MORE BUT NOW IS TERMED JCB, ALSO OF NOTE FULL BAT POWER NECESSARY FOR COMPONENT FUNCTIONALITY AS VERY SENSITIVE WITH UNDERLINE. OK MAIN CAUSE IS MOITURE AT FUSE PANEL THRU LEAKAGE AT WINDSHEILD SEALS IF NOT CRACKED GLASS. GOODLUCK.and get 4 of the same answers and go that route, than to ask one person, and get the wrong advice. Did I expect a different answer? I don't know. But thats how I troubleshoot. I could find no answers anywhere else online for this problem.

Second. I think It is rude to challenge someones trust. A person who works on cars for a living more than likely has some sort or knowledge. These are not just guys off the street who have replaced a radiator, or an intake. These are trained, certified Mechanics. How many changes have been made to the F150 in the past 10 years? My final point on the issue is this. Telling me that the "mechanic" that I asked should not be trusted. That isn't nice, and I believe its rude. All I asked is why.

In the vehicles that I have dealt with in my life, they will run with no battery, so how is it that a "dying" battery would cause this problem. I could understand a dead battery or an alternator would cause it. This problem has been going on for over a year, it rarely happens unless there has been rain, or heavy frost. I haven't had to get a jumpstart since this started happeneing. Anyway, Im going to get the battery tested.

I have seen in the past on other message boards, that members seem to stick together. thats awesome, but don't blindly think something because you are buddies, or he has been here longer than I have. I'm over it. I feel like he was over critical of a friend. If hes an expert he should realize that other people don't know as much as he does and cut them a brake. See my point? I doubt it but whatever![/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Gauges stop working