Back Up Camera

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back Up Camera

Ok so Im thinking about back up camera ideas for my 2003 F150. I was wondering if it would be possible to use the camera emblem rear-view mirror/screen from a 2008 I think.

The plan would be to mount the camera emblem run the wiring and mount the new mirror. My mirror already has auto dim so it has power no problem there. The only problem i see is how does the camera/ screen turn on. is it connected to to determine if you are in reverse? is so how could I do this on my 03.

Info input is helpful. or tell me im dumb and it will never work its just and idea.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Just a guess - triggered by activation of the backup light circuit?

- Jack

Old 04-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Just a guess - triggered by activation of the backup light circuit?

- Jack
Good call
How har would it be to tap into this

Old 04-10-2010, 03:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by i_love_paintbal
Ok so Im thinking about back up camera ideas for my 2003 F150. I was wondering if it would be possible to use the camera emblem rear-view mirror/screen from a 2008 I think.

The plan would be to mount the camera emblem run the wiring and mount the new mirror. My mirror already has auto dim so it has power no problem there. The only problem i see is how does the camera/ screen turn on. is it connected to to determine if you are in reverse? is so how could I do this on my 03.

Info input is helpful. or tell me im dumb and it will never work its just and idea.
Not sure exactly what you mean by "camera emblem". If you mean the camera that mounts in behind the emblem on the TG, I don't know if that will work in an '03 (old body) or not. I was going to mount the camera in the emblem on my '04 but it was an impossiblity in the '04, way too much in the way inside the TG. I may try later because I like doing custom stuff, but didn't have the time then. You can pick the BU light signal up at the BU light or in the wire loom that runs in the L channel under the step plate. (Opps, that's new body, but I imagine the wiring loom from the front to the rear runs in the channel on the '03 also) I did carve out the back of the drivers visor and custom mount the 7" color flat screen monitor in the visor. You just flip the visor down and the monitor is right in front of you, flip it up and it's hidden. Looks like factory.

Last edited by code58; 04-10-2010 at 03:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Back Up Camera