parking brake should just the headlights off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parking brake should just the headlights off?

ok guys on every other vehicle ive owned when i apply the parking brake it shuts the head lights off? but for some reason it doesnt do it on this truck (just bought it so).

has any one else had this or is this normal if not how do i fix it. when i apply the parking brake the light on the dash does come on.

havent looked to far into this givent he fact that its extremly cold outside so i posted hear to find if its a quick fix.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:10 AM
normal, F150s do not turn of the DRLs with the park brake.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:15 AM
awe that sucks i wish they did its alway came in handy when hiding with the ranger. do you know of anyway i can mod the system?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
crawl under the truck and look up behind the driver side headlight and youll see the drl resistor. white, approximately 3" x 2" x 1/2". unplug, tape off the ends, and away you go.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The 97 & 98 DRL module has an input for the parking brake, that should shut them off. Not sure if the '99 has the DRL module, or the DRL resistor, don't recall and do not have a diagram for it.

With turning off the DRLs, are they required ( by law - CAN ) or you want them normally ?

If so, and you have the DRL resistor, you can install a relay on the DRL circuit, and use the normally closed contacts.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:46 PM
thanks yeah in canada they are required by law to have the on when you are driving. but with the ranger i liked when i could just sit in a parking lot with the lights off and lisenting to music. i feel like everyone is looking at me when im just sitting there like a lurk lol. i was thinking to have a relay when the brake is pressed the lights are grounded and they turn off but its going to be to much trouble and i dont really care that much i guess if tis going to take that long lol thanks though

Quick Reply: parking brake should just the headlights off?