how to wire up cigar light plugs to fuse???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to wire up cigar light plugs to fuse???

i just bought some more cigar lighter plugs to wire up to my 08 f150 and right now it has a plug to plug up into an existing cigar light plug that in the dash, my question is how can i cut the plug off and wire it up to the fuse that runs to the existing cigar lighter plugs in the truck, and do i need to change the fuse??? i got a triple cigar lighter plug that im wanting to wire to the fuse so it works like the factory ones do

Old 01-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Keep in mind, this is a single 20A fuse, that also powers the OBD port, so the total AMP draw should be 16 A.

Option #1 : Add-a-fuse in fuse slot #110 ( Cigar lighter fuse slot )

This will add a circuit for the new 3 head DC power point that you bought, you you can have an additional 10A load on the 3 new ones, and still have the same load on the factory one.

This would take running some wire under the glove box, but easy to do.

Option #2 : Cut off the end, and splice it to the Cigar lighter wiring. This will provide power to them, but still the max 20A fuse, so the load should be limited to 16 A total.

When you cut off the male DC power adapter, stripe the wires, and use a meter to figure out which is positive ( metal ring isolated in the end of the socket ), and wire it the same way to the fuse or the truck's harness.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Keep in mind, this is a single 20A fuse, that also powers the OBD port, so the total AMP draw should be 16 A.

Option #1 : Add-a-fuse in fuse slot #110 ( Cigar lighter fuse slot )

This will add a circuit for the new 3 head DC power point that you bought, you you can have an additional 10A load on the 3 new ones, and still have the same load on the factory one.

This would take running some wire under the glove box, but easy to do.

Option #2 : Cut off the end, and splice it to the Cigar lighter wiring. This will provide power to them, but still the max 20A fuse, so the load should be limited to 16 A total.

When you cut off the male DC power adapter, stripe the wires, and use a meter to figure out which is positive ( metal ring isolated in the end of the socket ), and wire it the same way to the fuse or the truck's harness.
hey thanks for the info, i went with option 2 and it all works good i appriciate it

Quick Reply: how to wire up cigar light plugs to fuse???