06 Switch panel help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Switch panel help

I have been looking to put a switch panel on my dash for sometime now. I would like to use this box that serves no purpose but haven't figured out exactly how. The box is in the center of the dash below my cup holder. I have an 06 F150 FX4 regular cab short bed. I would like to install 5 switches at the least to run aux lighting as well as my LED emergency lighting. The major problem to me is the angle of the box.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fireslayer
I have been looking to put a switch panel on my dash for sometime now. I would like to use this box that serves no purpose but haven't figured out exactly how. The box is in the center of the dash below my cup holder. I have an 06 F150 FX4 regular cab short bed. I would like to install 5 switches at the least to run aux lighting as well as my LED emergency lighting. The major problem to me is the angle of the box.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
There's a couple write-ups in the How-to section (current & archived) that sorta touch on what you are asking. Some wiring info as well.

Assume a bit of required fabbing to account for the angle you mentioned ( non-console truck?)

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Good luck.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Thank you for a quick reply. I have searched throught the archive quite frequently and have turned up very little. The regular cab trucks no not have a center console. I have a 40/20/40 split bench seat with a fold down console in the center.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have pictures of the back of the tray ( how it mounts ) ?

Couldn't figure out the picture hosting site you are using to see if you had any others there.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:17 PM
I used myspace lol since i dont have a photobucket account. The box mounts with 2 verticle tabs on either side of it. The back gently tapers to a flat back. there is a small rubber tab at the rear, my guess would be to keep it from vibrating. I can upload a pic of the rear in a bit.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Old 01-06-2010, 04:02 PM

Thought about making a new plate with the spring clip mounts on it ?

It would be the size of the front part ( so it would cover the entire opening ), and add 2 tabs to it, to mount the spring clips.

The rubber mounts, you would have to make a post for those to go on ( locate pins so the panel is straight ).

JB Weld could be used to mount the pins, and make the rough in for the spring clips. Would take some filing to finalize the spring clip mounts.

This would make a flat surface panel to mount switches to.

The red outline is the estimated shape of the blank panel

Black plastic would be best, you could use clear plexiglass and plaint it back after the fact, but that might stand out a bit.

Trending Topics

Old 01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
That is a very good idea Thank you. I was getting hung up on some how using a store bought panel.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:03 PM

You could use black plastic to cover what you have, but :
1. The switch panel would stick out farther
2. The wires for the switches would have to be routed through a hole in the tray.

Add to this, you would have the screws on the face of it.

Can't think of anything to get heavy enough black ABS plastic out of to make the panel. Maybe look at the bone yard in some wrecks to see what is available ?

Quick Reply: 06 Switch panel help