courtesy light DOES NOT come on when door is opened

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
courtesy light DOES NOT come on when door is opened

Hi all,

I have a 1999 Lincoln Navigator and when the driver side door is opened, the courtesy lights do not come on. when the rest of the doors are opened the lights come on without a problem. I thought that it may have been the door ajar switch, but I tried the WD40 trick and then tried to replace the switch after that didn't work and that didn't work either. I am not sure if the relay would be causing this or what... I hear the relay when the other doors are opened, but not the driver side door... Is there something else in the path from that door ajar switch to the relay that could have failed? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Amos

Old 10-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
I'm only guessing here, but the wiring to/from the switch in the door? I think that's the next thing I'd check. I suspect a circuit has to be "completed" to register as an open door, so broken wires or bad connections sound very possible.

- Jack

Old 10-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

I will check that next. i tried swapping the battery saver and courtesy light relays around since they were the same thing and nothing happened... I guess I am gonna have some fun tracing that out...

Old 10-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have to go with jack on this one, look for a broken wire from the door to the a-pillar.

This will give you an idea of where I am talking about, if I was not clear

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...door-wire.html

This thread is for the 04+ MY F150, so it will not match your truck 100%, but the idea is the same.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Quick Reply: courtesy light DOES NOT come on when door is opened