Door Speaker Short = "odd" Breaklight Behaviour

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Speaker Short = "odd" Brakelight Behaviour

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, as search on this site doesn't seem to work for me ever... it just links me to a page that does nothing but have ads on it...
But recently my breaks were acting really odd... when I turned my signal light(s) on they would be completely solid for the first 5 seconds... then on a 2 second "flash" timer they would plink... both tail-lights would flash, only one mirror and one side in the front...
When I hit my brakes the mirrors switched to "burnt out light" mode and would flash really fast... My brake lights would completely shut off when I stepped on the brakes.. only my cargo-based brake light would illuminate, my brake lights returning to "Cruise" illumination once I stopped stepping on the brakes.

I assumed this was my trucks way of telling me my front pads were low, as the one side had just started to hit the metal of the pad.. but after changing them the problem persisted.
Then one day my g/f got in my truck and informed me my passenger side speaker wasn't running, the tweeter was, but not the door speaker itself.
So when I pulled the door apart I found the positive lead on the door speaker had managed to pull away and contact the negative lead.. the speaker was dead, and there was a short.
Once I re-soldered the connection the problem was gone, everything worked normally, as it should.

I'm running an aftermarket deck, with all aftermarket speakers and like I said I'm not sure if this has been posted already, nor if similar symptoms are caused by other electrical problems.. just posting my findings so hopefully should the problem arise for anybody else they don't waste a bunch of time/money trying other things when this is a very simple check/fix.

Edited because I can't spell.

Last edited by Concept; 04-06-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
short

This is the value of this website. Thanks for sharing. Place this information in the ole file cabinet until it is needed down the road.

DaWG

Quick Reply: Door Speaker Short = "odd" Breaklight Behaviour