PCM/Instrument Cluster NIGHTMARE

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PCM/Instrument Cluster NIGHTMARE

I've got an '01 f150 supercrew with the 5.4. It's been in the shop for 26 days because of the PCM burning up along with the circuit boards in the instrument cluster. I picked it up 2 days with a brand new computer(reprogammed), and a remanufactured instrument cluster module. I pull up to the stop light last night and it's doing the same damn thing. It stalls out. It will crank, but it doesn't turn over right away. I got pissed and banged on the instrument cluster and it started up. Brought it to my buddies house, tried to start it again and nothing.

I'm out of ideas of what it could be... Any help would be wonderful.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by FLDuckHunter
I've got an '01 f150 supercrew with the 5.4. It's been in the shop for 26 days because of the PCM burning up along with the circuit boards in the instrument cluster. I picked it up 2 days with a brand new computer(reprogammed), and a remanufactured instrument cluster module. I pull up to the stop light last night and it's doing the same damn thing. It stalls out. It will crank, but it doesn't turn over right away. I got pissed and banged on the instrument cluster and it started up. Brought it to my buddies house, tried to start it again and nothing.

I'm out of ideas of what it could be... Any help would be wonderful.
I'm a bit puzzled about your problem. Is it that the truck stalls and won't start, or is it that the PCM and cluster have burned out again? When you say it's "doing the same damn thing", which was it? What made you take the truck to the shop?

There are many possible causes for truck stalling and no start conditions, but they basically boil down to no fuel or no electricity. Possibly, banging on your instrument panel temporarily fixed a loose connection in the ignition wiring. I suppose that's where I'd start troubleshooting.

- Jack

Old 03-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had thought the instrument cluster and PCM were burned up again. Apparently they have not. It was taken to the Ford Dealership here in town and they're saying there's nothing wrong with it because there's no codes. There's definately something wrong when it stalls at stop lights and won't turn over.

It has a mind of its own right now, turns over when it wants to and shuts off when it wants to as well. Brand new battery as well. They're thinking it could have something to do with the security system. Going on a month without my truck, getting ridiculous if you ask me...

Old 03-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had thought the instrument cluster and PCM were burned up again. Apparently they have not. It was taken to the Ford Dealership here in town and they're saying there's nothing wrong with it because there's no codes. There's definately something wrong when it stalls at stop lights and won't turn over. ..<snip>....
Now we are getting some useful info.

1. Stalls at lights and won't restart
I would take a look at the IAC ( Idle Air Control ) on the back of the valve body.
2 8 mm bolt heads on the bolts holding it on the back of the throttle body.

This is where it is located

You can clean the inside of it with rubbing alcohol and Q-tips, just make sure there is nothing in the way of the piston when you are done cleaning it.

This is a common problem with the 5.4 L V-8s. The pictures are from my '01 , had stalling issues in the winter ( gummed up, and this is when it stopped moving ). I cleaned mine to get it back on the road, and ordered a new one for it.

You can search for IAC in the engine forum for threads on the topic.

..<snip>....It has a mind of its own right now, turns over when it wants to and shuts off when it wants to as well. Brand new battery as well. They're thinking it could have something to do with the security system. Going on a month without my truck, getting ridiculous if you ask me...
What security system is on the truck ? Close here, but some additional info would be useful.
Could be dying from no air ( IAC not opening ) and maybe a PATS antenna problem causing it not to start, or could be the security system?
Best to find out if you can remove a non Ford Security system for the time being to remove it as a source of the problem, if it is not a Ford system.

Quick Reply: PCM/Instrument Cluster NIGHTMARE