1998 4x4 Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
I found my problem today. It turned out to be a faulty vacuum solenoid that always kept my front axle from engaging. Thank you for the guidance with the troubleshooting. cheers

Old 02-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
...<snip>....I tested the operation of the transfer case and it has drive to the front shaft when i engage the 4x4 switch but the two solenoids always have 12 volts no matter which position the switch is in....<snip>....
Does this mean the 4x4 works ?

The top side will always have +12 v DC to it. The switching is done via ground.

...<snip>....If it shorts one of them to ground I should not have voltage at the connector correct? ...<snip>....
Nope, just like AC, voltage drop is over the device.
Think of it this way, if you have a AC light bulb, and measure from hot to Neutral, what does the meter show ? 115 V ( or 120, or what ever the actual voltage is peak to peak, halfed and * 0.707 or RMS ).
Voltage drop is still the same over a single series device.

...<snip>....Still have no power on fuse #20 on either side. Fuse that controls pcm/gem/cmt. Not sure if you mentioned it gets power when something else is on. ...<snip>....
Fuse #20 in the EVTM says for manual trans only. No note as to if it does something else in an auto trans, so I would say fuse #20 is not needed. Don't know if you missed that in post #10 above.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/3570452-post10.html

Old 02-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by firemandan32
Hi
I found my problem today. It turned out to be a faulty vacuum solenoid that always kept my front axle from engaging. Thank you for the guidance with the troubleshooting. cheers
Oh crap, sorry I was replying to your previous post when you did this. please ignore that one then.

Glad you found the problem, and it was an easy mechanical problem, not a GEM issue.

Any time, that is why we are all here.

Too bad, I thought we were going to have a post count higher then Brad with adding electrical devices

Last edited by SSCULLY; 02-05-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: can't spell to save my life today
Old 02-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
FYI

That 5A fuse in the mini-box of the 97 and 98 trucks is the PCM KAM circuit. It doesn't run the PCM, it just supplies power the non-volatile memory in the PCM.

That's the fuse to pull to reset the PCM's memory so you don't have to disconnect the battery (and reset your clock and radio).

Steve

Quick Reply: 1998 4x4 Electrical Problems