2002 F-150 Brake lights and turn signals not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F-150 Brake lights and turn signals not working

I have a friend that has a 2002 Scab and he is telling me that his brake lights and rear turn signals are not working. I had him check his #13 fuse but he says it's good and even replaced it, but still no go. He is saying the front turn signals work which is strange.

He's also saying he has an airbag warning light on.

Any ideas?

Old 09-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like a few things.

1. The rear Stop / Turn lamps not working, have him try moving the tilt on the steering wheel, and see if this changes it. Could be either a bad MFS, or a problem with the connector in the steering wheel column, which can be a common solution for this problem.

2. Airbag light, does it flash a code on startup ( sequence of long and short flashes ) ?

Old 09-28-2008, 09:56 PM
check to see if theres anything in the cigarette lighter or the 12 volt power outlet ,check the connections to the back of them also a little short can cause a series of problems

Old 09-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Sounds like a few things.

1. The rear Stop / Turn lamps not working, have him try moving the tilt on the steering wheel, and see if this changes it. Could be either a bad MFS, or a problem with the connector in the steering wheel column, which can be a common solution for this problem.

2. Airbag light, does it flash a code on startup ( sequence of long and short flashes ) ?

I guess we'll check the connector. How hard is it to get the column cover off? He said he looked at getting the cover off but it looked like he needed to pull the wheel? Is it necessary to pull the wheel to get the cover off to get to the switch? If not, any how-to's available?

As far as the airbg light, it's blinking 2-7, which seems to be a PDA led light, and I've already seen the fix on that, so I think it's unrelated.

Thank in advance.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 026TB4U
I guess we'll check the connector. How hard is it to get the column cover off? He said he looked at getting the cover off but it looked like he needed to pull the wheel? Is it necessary to pull the wheel to get the cover off to get to the switch? If not, any how-to's available?
The cover comes off with the screws on the bottom of the cover. The dash part comes off first ( trim panel on under the speedo ).

Old 09-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
The cover comes off with the screws on the bottom of the cover. The dash part comes off first ( trim panel on under the speedo ).
So he needs to remove the trim piece under the speedo and then he will be able to get the upper half of the column cover off? Is the trim piece held in place with screws or clips?

Thanks again.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:28 PM

The trim that is over the top of the steering wheel column is held on with spring clips if memory serves me correctly.

The steering wheel cover has screws from the bottom that need to be removed, again if memory serves me correctly.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:07 PM
I had the same problem with the bake lights. Found 2 wires pinched, and a corroded connector near the MF switch. Replaced the connector, fixed the wires and no problem since then.

Quick Reply: 2002 F-150 Brake lights and turn signals not working